Adventures in All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJL

Reaction score
Before you start reading, I warn you this is a long story. However, I decided to share for a couple of reasons:
1) To demonstrate the true wealth of knowledge available on HBT.
2) To show that you can do a whole lot wrong and still have beer.
3) I just felt like sharing – so there! ;)

So there I was about to embark on my first all grain brewing adventure. Let me just preface by saying that I decided to brew AG, not because I feel there is any deficiency in the extract brewing process. I simply like to challenge myself, and learn and try new things. Also, I like the idea of keeping my ingredient costs down and being able to have basic brewing ingredients on hand at all times. That said here’s my story.

I woke up yesterday morning not really intending to brew. I had a smack pack already swelled sitting in the fridge, but I was actually figuring that I would make a starter out of it sometime this week to use sometime in the near future. What started this whole thing was my grain mill, which I had never used to this point. I started tinkering with it, then looked at my 50lbs of pale malt I had sitting in my grain bin, and so the brew day began. I do have to preface by saying that pretty much my entire AG rig was untested to this point. The only thing that I had used prior to yesterday was my ring burner, which I had used only once before. In addition to being my first AG batch, this was also my first full boil as well.

I have a barley crusher mill, which I’ve determined is shipped with a detachable crank handle that is never intended to actually be used. I milled about 9lbs of grain “and boy were my arms tired.” But it does give a really good crush.

I then started heating my water. I actually logged onto HBT while the water was heating because I wasn’t sure what my strike temp needed to be, and I knew that I had seen a link to a calculator on here. Sure enough I found one. Strike at 162F. I also boiled about a gallon of water and preheated my mashtun (another tip I picked up here). This is when things went awry.

I was using a remote grilling thermometer. It has a little transmitter that sends the temp to a handheld unit you carry with you. Great little device. The strike water gets up to 162F. I dump the boiling water out of the MLT, toss the grain in, and start dumping the strike water into the MLT about 1 gallon at a time and mixing it with the grain. By the way, my mash consistency was about 1.25 qts/lb. At this point, I put the probe from my remote thermo into the mash, and it starts reading 180F. So, I start stirring and dumping in cold water. Still 180F. More water, more stirring. Still 180F. At this point, I finally realized that my thermo had wigged out on me. I’m guessing you’re not supposed to get it wet, but who knows. I pulled out my old dial thermo, stuck it in the mash – 140F. Just great. So, I took some of the boiling water I had on the stove, (another tip I learned here is you can never have too much hot water on hand when brewing) and mixed it into the mash until I got to my desired temp of 150F. But, by this time I’ve got about 6+ gallons of water and grain. Oh well, covered it up and let the conversion begin.

About 75 minutes later I recirculate and take my first runnings. This actual went rather smoothly. My MLT is a 10 gal round Rubbermaid cooler with a braided stainless supply line for a screen. Actually, built this from plans I found on HBT as well. Drains really well. No stuck mash. Yield is about 3.5 gals of wort. Hooray! Now I’m feeling confident. So, I heat my sparge water to about 180F. Keep in mind that I only want to sparge with 2.5-3 gals of water since my first runnings yielded way more wort than planned. I mixed the sparge water with my grain, again about 1 gal at a time. I put my dial read thermo into the mash. The dial slowly rolls up to 16……oh crap. I dropped the thermo into the mash. Too hot to fish it out. Oh well, I knew it was 160+, so I just took about a half gallon of hot water from the stove and dumped it into the MLT. I figured it would end up somewhere between 160F and 170F. Good enough. I covered it and let it sit for 10 minutes. Recirculate. Drain the MLT.

Since I had to add more sparge water than intended as well, my total yield to my brew pot was about 6.5 gals. More than I wanted, but not a total catastrophe. Time to boil. Since I’ve got more wort than I wanted, and I have no idea about the boil off rate of my rig, I just brought the water up to boil and threw in my bittering hops. Then, I just checked back every 15-20 minutes to check the amount of boil off I had. After about 75 minutes, I had boiled down to about 5.5 gals, Satisfied that I had boiled off enough liquid, I pitched in my flavor hops and irish moss. I also inserted my wort chiller (another tip I picked up here) and began counting down the last 15 minutes.

When it was time, I turned off the heat, moved the pot to an ice bath, and ran my wort chiller. It took about 20 minutes to cool. By the way, by this time I had retrieved my dial thermo from the MLT. Then, I whirlpooled the wort. Normally I don’t bother with this, but I figured I give it a try. “Boy were my arms tired” – again. Then I siphoned the wort into the primary bucket. Siphoning is another thing I normally don’t bother with, but I was curious to see how much break material I had. Of course, the hose fell out of the bucket as I was starting the siphon, so I lost a couple of ounces on the floor. All in all, I ended up with about 5.25 gals after my boil, and ended up transferring about 4.75 gals into the primary for about a half gal of break, which I would figure is about normal.

So, after all this, (about 7 hours later) I topped off the primary to 5 gals, took a gravity sample, pitched my yeast and sealed her up. I looked at my recipe and the gravity was supposed to be between 1.048 and 1.051. Lo and behold, I drop my hydro into my sample just hoping I had converted any sugars after this whole ordeal, and I hit 1.048. Adjusted for temp it ended up 1.050. And the true test, less than 12 hours later it is happily bubbling away.

The moral of the story – Even a blind squirrel finds a nut!
:mug:

I made a couple of these mistakes; was doing a vaguely Belgian-ish beer and was aiming for a mash temp of 149. Managed to overheat my water, so my mash ended up at 155. Dumped in enough cold water to bring it down to 140, then had to boil a couple quarts to bring it back *up*.

And I'm still figuring out how to get my volumes right with all grain. I've been having problems since I can hit my gravities, but with lower volumes than I want. Stupid 7.5 gallon pot…

I made a couple of these mistakes; was doing a vaguely Belgian-ish beer and was aiming for a mash temp of 149. Managed to overheat my water, so my mash ended up at 155. Dumped in enough cold water to bring it down to 140, then had to boil a couple quarts to bring it back *up*.

And I'm still figuring out how to get my volumes right with all grain. I've been having problems since I can hit my gravities, but with lower volumes than I want. Stupid 7.5 gallon pot…

Here's the link to the water calculator that I found on here. It helped me even though I screwed it up.

http://www.brew365.com/mash_sparge_water_calculator.php

So, I thought I would post the end to my story, since now that it's been about 7 weeks, I'm finally getting around to drinking this. I came home day 2 to find krausen bubbling out my airlock, so that was another setback. I cleaned that up, and let it sit in the primary for a total of 3.5 weeks. I bottled with 4oz of corn sugar and let it carb up for about 2.5 weeks at around 67F - my basement temp. I have to say this beer is probably the best one I've made so far. I made this same beer as an extract recipe, which was my favorite at the time, but this version turned out a little better. I'm attributing it to the full boil, but I have no actual proof since there are about a dozen things I changed in my technique this time around. It's very clear (for a brown ale), and has some really nice roasted flavors, but not overpowering. The only thing I would change is probably priming with even less corn sugar next time. I did the calculations, and the ideal amount of priming sugar would have been somewhere around 3oz, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

Back