2 Recipes from 1 Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mystikhybrid

Reaction score
Q: Is it possible to brew 2 separate IPAs/PAs from one (10 gal for me) batch?
A: Yes, updated with a reply

I was pondering adding a single addition neutral AA hop (Magnum) at 60 minutes, do a no-chill method (cools overnight in fermentor), and add 2 different hops while its still hot (separated into 2 fermentors). Also dryhop similarly.

One suggested just double dryhopping different carboys instead of the no-chill hot wort dryhop(which I am nervous about, never done), but I think there are hop aromas and flavors released from heat.

Any problems , suggestions, or improvements?

Update:
I just wanted to update on this experiment: it was a success. :ban:

I brewed 3 pale ales (Simcoe, Citra, and Nelson Sauvin) from 12 gallons of wort, hopped at 60 min with 1 1/4 oz Magnum (neutral hop). Based on this recipe: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/bee-cave-brewery-haus-pale-ale-31793/. Used 1 oz each soaked in 1 shot vodka during the brewday, and topped off with boiling wort at flameout. Added to fermentor once cooled, and added another ounce of dryhops to each fermentor as I normally would have.

Photos of process (Imgur)

I've had quite a few tastings so far, noone can tell the difference versus past pale ales using standard hop methods.

If you try this out, please post your findings!

It should work. I have split wort into separate vessels with different yeasts, getting two versions of one beer. I have also added hop tea to a fermenting wort. I used a little LME with the hops for the hop tea, it worked fine. So, you can cool and pitch your brew, then add a flavor hop later with a thirty minute boil. The brews will be similar, different hop flavor. If you used different AA hops, one could be IPA, one a pale. Let us know what you do.

when they do a Scotch ale they do 2 runnings, the first is the Scotch and the second they call a Wee beer.
The Scotch is such a high gravity the sugars are not all out by the time the brew kettle is full, so they keep sparing into another tank and make the second beer

point being, make a high gravity mash and use the first 5 gallons for one kind of beer and the next for another

I don't have any links, but there's a lot of research and there are a lot of opinions floating around on post-boil hopping, which seems to be what you're suggesting. Based on what I've read, you should be able to successfully make two different beers (albeit with the same OG and malt profile) by hopping them separately shortly after the boil. Different yeasts, fermentation temperatures, and dry hops would be other simple ways to differentiate them, and you could even change the OG and malt profile of one or both of them by mixing some extract into the fermentors while you're hopping them.

If you do this, you might want to use hop bags so you don't leave a ton of hops in your fermentor.

If you do traditional all-grain or get a little creative with BIAB, you can parti-gyle as suggested and get different OGs as well, though you'd be doing two separate boils in that case.

I just wanted to update on this experiment: it was a success. :ban:

Now onto other multi-brew methods, specifically a porter half smoked half espresso...

Back