1st Mini-Mash Results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpetty

Reaction score
So I did my first mini-mash at a brew-in with the local club Sunday morning. This was my third batch, and it is an oatmeal stout kit from Austin Homebrew.

I made a mistake and used twice as much mash water as I should have, so I went into overdrive to drop the temperature. Still had starch conversion. Did a batch sparge (which noone else brewing had heard of!), then added my extract.

Towards the end of the boil, one of the guys took a refraction reading at 18, which he said was equivalent to 1.072. However, when I got home I took a hydrometer reading before pitching the starter, and it showed 1.052-1.053, right on target. Did he mess up his reading?

I came out with about 6 gallons of wort, and I hit my target gravity almost spot on. I guess my extract was more efficient than what the recipe had planned.

I just ordered around 80 pounds of grain and 3 pounds of hops. Time to jump into all grain!

mpetty said:
Towards the end of the boil, one of the guys took a refraction reading at 18, which he said was equivalent to 1.072. However, when I got home I took a hydrometer reading before pitching the starter, and it showed 1.052-1.053, right on target. Did he mess up his reading?

He must have. If you use mainly extract, It's pretty hard to miss the target by that much. And since you did a full wort boil, it couldn't have been one of these "forgot to stir" errors. Temperature can't be an issue either since the difference is way to big.

Mini-mashes are definitely the best way to get into AG. They teach you how to maintain and step-up the temperature, w/o risking to be way off target if it doesn't work out as planned.

Kai

Did a batch sparge (which noone else brewing had heard of!), then added my extract.

is a batch sparge a 'double mash'where you drain the lauter, then recycle everything back, mix it up, let it sit for 15 min.and drain it again? or is it a 'fly' mash where you do a 'vorlauf',. then drain and add sparge h2o to the top at about the same flow rate as its coming out?

Latest posts

Back