Will cold temperatures stall bottle carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micfiygd

Reaction score
So I bottled my last batch about 2 weeks ago. When I opened one last night it was barely carbonated. I had left them in my pantry which was quite cold, probably around 40 degrees.

So my question is this, would the cold temperatures stop the carbonation process? And if it does, can I just move them to a warmer spot and the carbonation will continue or will be I have to open them up use campden tablets?

So my question is this, would the cold temperatures stop the carbonation process? And if it does, can I just move them to a warmer spot and the carbonation will continue or will be I have to open them up use campden tablets?

Not an expert here, but from what I understand it would take a very very very long time to carb up beer at 40 degrees. You need it to be in the 65 - 70 degree range to see results within 2 weeks.

A helpful tip for getting help on this forum without posting and waiting around for an answer: Read the "sticky" articles at the top of each forum. This one, from the bottling/kegging section helped me a lot: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-tips-homebrewer-94812/

cool storage will slow down the carbonation, just move them to warmer place and bottle conditioning/carbing will continue.

I agree with Stinkmuis. Cold temps, especially for ales, will result in little to no carbonation. Move the bottles to a place with temps near 70 for 10-14 days, then you should see carbonation.

70 degrees is perfect. Depending on the strain, if they were at 40 degrees, you might need to rouse the yeast (just rolling the bottle should do it) if the yeast all flocculated out.

Back