Used Kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't, and it's not because you can find corney's for a lot less in a raw uncleaned state. A lot of people would rather buy cheap dirty kegs and clean/rebuild themselves. I wouldn't, but some people would.

If you want something that is nicely cleaned up for you (as I would) then for $140 plus shipping, you can get four totally acid-cleaned and completely rebuilt kegs from www.kegs.com. How much is shipping? I don't know, but if you go with the MoreBeer deal with free shipping, I'd suggest you go ahead and rebuild them to start with, rather than rely on their pressure test. That's probably going to put you in the same ballpark with SABCO, and you save all the effort of doing it yourself.

wup said:
You can have them for much cheaper if you don't mind a little cleaning, and orings are cheap to replace.

Yea... but 4 rebuild kits, and 4 new check valves, and 4 new poppets will cost almost the same.

At least the reconditioned ones dont need the valves...... yet. (they are pressure tested)

beer4breakfast said:
I wouldn't, and it's not because you can find corney's for a lot less in a raw uncleaned state. A lot of people would rather buy cheap dirty kegs and clean/rebuild themselves. I wouldn't, but some people would.

If you want something that is nicely cleaned up for you (as I would) then for $140 plus shipping, you can get four totally acid-cleaned and completely rebuilt kegs from www.kegs.com. How much is shipping? I don't know, but if you go with the MoreBeer deal with free shipping, I'd suggest you go ahead and rebuild them to start with, rather than rely on their pressure test. That's probably going to put you in the same ballpark with SABCO, and you save all the effort of doing it yourself.

hmmm.. good call. That looks like a better deal.

Update: 5 of those kegs from sabco with shipping for $200.77... I think this is the path I may go.

Thanks

Noticed this on there...

http://www.homebrewing.org/155-Gallon-Stock-Pot_p_79-275.html

$119 for a keg kettle. I know it's cheaper to just find a keg, but I'm not having any luck in that regard (I haven't seen anything posted on ebay for ages). If I go with a stainless steel pot (not an old keg), looking at spending a lot more than that. What do you think?

EDIT: Shipping's only $12.

snaproll said:
Heh Fella's check out my local homebrew shop.
I doubt you can beat their deals on kegs.
http://www.homebrewing.org/
I love their prices and ordered three times from them. The first two came through just fine, but my third order (placed a month ago) has somehow been screwed up. My card's been charged, and I even got a UPS tracking number. The tracking number is invalid, and I never received any kegs. I'm in touch with their customer support - nice people...still no results after two weeks. I'll post an edit to let you know how this is resolved.

JoeRags said:
hmmm.. good call. That looks like a better deal.

Update: 5 of those kegs from sabco with shipping for $200.77... I think this is the path I may go.

Thanks

But wait... check out this that Biermann posted in the "They're Heeeeeeere" thread. This might actually be a better deal for you, depending on the shipping cost to your location. It would be no shipping for me, since I just live a few miles from Irving.

Biermann said:
I had real good luck with this seller (wyleecoyote88). Friendly, fast, and 100% rating, nice, quality, cleaned kegs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-5-GALLON-CORN...2QQihZ011QQcategoryZ67137QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

but then again... remember... the sanco kegs have new gaskets, check and poppet valves. PLUS they are acid washed.

The ebay kegs are "cleaned" and have "newer seals"

The kegs on homebrewing.org just says cleaned... no new seals, no new nothing.

I believe I will be purchasing 4 from sabco... seems like the easiest route for a few more dollars.

Thanks for all the input. :rockin:

Beermaker said:
$135? Oh hell no.....ebay.com....usually 40 or so with postage.....

I'll be damned, though, if I can find any. The only beer keg I've seen in probably four weeks was a little 7.5 gallon one. There was one I was bidding on that was pulled for violating eBay policy; not sure if it was because he was selling a keg that was likely stolen, or because it was not completely devoid of beer. There was someone who was selling a ton of kegs, always had listings up, but she seems to be gone. And, I don't see anything else out there.

So, I'm getting frustrated. My current setup (electric fryer and the stove with a 5 gallon pot) will only let me boil a total of about 5 gallons at a time, which limits me to about eight pounds of grain (make up the difference with extract). It's also a very big PITA, and I still have a lot of trouble getting the systems up to full, aggressive boils. I want to do SOMETHING by next time, either a keggle, or a 10-15 gallon stainless stockpot (looking at at least $150 there), something. I could buy a big aluminum pot, but I know I'd be looking to replace it, not for health concerns but because of the scratching.

So, sue me, I'm getting frustrated!

the_bird said:
It's also a very big PITA, and I still have a lot of trouble getting the systems up to full, aggressive boils. I want to do SOMETHING by next time, either a keggle, or a 10-15 gallon stainless stockpot (looking at at least $150 there)
Williams Brewing sells a relatively inexpensive Italian line of brew kettles.

36 Quart - $89.90
52 Quart - $109.90

I used the 36 quart version for a few 5 gallon full boil extract batches and have been really happy with it. Now I use it for a hot liquor tank in my all grain setup.

[/HIJACK]

Yuri_Rage said:
Williams Brewing sells a relatively inexpensive Italian line of brew kettles.

36 Quart - $89.90
52 Quart - $109.90

I used the 36 quart version for a few 5 gallon full boil extract batches and have been really happy with it. Now I use it for a hot liquor tank in my all grain setup.

[/HIJACK]

I guess I view that as an argument in favor of dropping the $130 or whatever on a keg. I know with the keg that worries about boilovers are essentially in the past, the 36 quart pot is still a little bit on the small side. And, if I'm looking at $110+shipping at a bare minimum for a SS pot... that IS the cheapest I have seen, but if I'm not saving money going that route, why not go for a keg?

Need to talk to the wife, I think I know what I want for my b-day now....

Bird, keep looking, I know I saw a keg on ebay this week for like $65. Also, have you checked craigslist? I just scored a keg from there(hoping to pick up tonight after work) for $35. If I get it I'm bringing it out to my brother in laws this weekend since he has a plasma cutter:D

I got them at my LHBS for $25 each. Not too bad, from looking around it seems like on eBay you can get them for around $35 for two, but with shipping it works out to $50 or more. The homebrewing.org kegs would have saved me $10 on two, but I'm impatient :)

Of course, they smell like sprite so I have some work to do. They did throw in some o-rings though.

2nd Street Brewery said:
Bird, keep looking, I know I saw a keg on ebay this week for like $65. Also, have you checked craigslist? I just scored a keg from there(hoping to pick up tonight after work) for $35. If I get it I'm bringing it out to my brother in laws this weekend since he has a plasma cutter:D

Yeah, that's true, I forgot about that one. It was already converted, I think.

I'm checking Craigslist every morning. How long ago was the one you're picking up listed (Albany's one of the sites I check). He didn't happen to have a second one, did he? ;)

the_bird said:
Yeah, that's true, I forgot about that one. It was already converted, I think.

I'm checking Craigslist every morning. How long ago was the one you're picking up listed (Albany's one of the sites I check). He didn't happen to have a second one, did he? ;)

I just replied to your PM but no he only has the one, His sankey is $35 and he has 2 cornies at $15 ea

I ended up purchasing 4 of the sabco kegs... rather just spent the money for cleaned, totally rebuilt units.

Thanks for the input.

I emailed Rick @ sabco this morning, they are completely out of used kegs at the moment, and I know they have not seen very many come around. He did offer me 10% off on a new kettle, but that's still a little bit out of my price range (just a touch).

I get all my kegs from here
http://southeasthomebrew.com/advancedsystems.html
Looks like they get a lot of their stuff from SABCO as well but the prices on most is better and even the shipping on the brewmaster system (which I bought from them)
is much, much, much less considering the things weigh 400 pounds shipped. I got the showcase model at the same price as SABCO has it for, maybe even a little less and paid for 75 pounds shipping.

the_bird said:
I emailed Rick @ sabco this morning, they are completely out of used kegs at the moment, and I know they have not seen very many come around. He did offer me 10% off on a new kettle, but that's still a little bit out of my price range (just a touch).

Hmmm.. I placed my order late last night. I do have an email from them, but it is simply an order confirmation. No word yet that they are out. (I ordered the used- rebuilt single handle units)

Yeah, what's confusing about this whole thread is that some people are clearly talking about corny kegs, and some are talking about sankey kegs. Big difference. About 10.5 gallons, to be exact, and a whole lotta bread.

beer4breakfast said:
Yeah, what's confusing about this whole thread is that some people are clearly talking about corny kegs, and some are talking about sankey kegs. Big difference. About 10.5 gallons, to be exact, and a whole lotta bread.

I hereby profess, as the originator of this thread, the topic here is CORNY kegs... 5 gallon to be exact.

:tank:

And another question.... a friend has about 9 older sankey half barrels out back behind his garage... Deposits long gone. Now, I'm hoping he'll let me snag them, first two will be HLT and Mash Tun... but the others.... how hard is it to sanitize/ clean and fill these bad boys? I dont want to have to buy a bunch of equipment to clean them.

Thanks...

JoeRags said:
I hereby profess, as the originator of this thread, the topic here is CORNY kegs... 5 gallon to be exact.

And another question.... a friend has about 9 older sanke half barrels
Hypocrite!

To answer the question, they shouldn't be too hard to clean - especially if they're free! I Googled sanke keg valves once and found a page about disassembling them. It didn't seem too tough (then again, my shop is ridiculous, so take that with a grain of salt). Once you get the valve out, it's just a matter of a hose, some PBW (or other cleaner), and as much time as you want to spend rinsing/repeating.

Yuri_Rage said:
Hypocrite!

To answer the question, they shouldn't be too hard to clean - especially if they're free! I Googled sanke keg valves once and found a page about disassembling them. It didn't seem too tough (then again, my shop is ridiculous, so take that with a grain of salt). Once you get the valve out, it's just a matter of a hose, some PBW (or other cleaner), and as much time as you want to spend rinsing/repeating.

whoops... my bad... new to this keg terminology.

corny... sanke... who the h*ll knows! :drunk:

With regard to http://www.homebrewing.org/
Yuri_Rage said:
I love their prices and ordered three times from them. The first two came through just fine, but my third order (placed a month ago) has somehow been screwed up. My card's been charged, and I even got a UPS tracking number. The tracking number is invalid, and I never received any kegs. I'm in touch with their customer support - nice people...still no results after two weeks. I'll post an edit to let you know how this is resolved.
I just called the place, and their previous keg supplier reneged on a deal, so they've been out of kegs for a month. They have a new supplier, and they're slated to receive 1300 cornies tomorrow. Might be a good time to order!

Yuri_Rage said:
With regard to http://www.homebrewing.org/

I just called the place, and their previous keg supplier reneged on a deal, so they've been out of kegs for a month. They have a new supplier, and they're slated to receive 1300 cornies tomorrow. Might be a good time to order!

oh well... too late for me.

Back