upgrading single pressure c02 regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

f0xtr0t

Reaction score
Ok I have a single pressure c02 regulator from kegcowboy.com it has a 2 way manifold. I want to know what items should I purchase to upgrade so I can have two different output pressures. Would it be as simple has buying a nipple and another co2 regulator then just daisy chaining them?

A secondary regulator would work better than adding another two stage regulator. You could add something like this and be good to go.

Be careful about the right handed threads. I called micromatic and ordered an adapter and I'm pretty sure it's a left handed thread. In order to daisy chain regulators you're going to need a left thread male to male adapter.

Be careful about the right handed threads. I called micromatic and ordered an adapter and I'm pretty sure it's a left handed thread. In order to daisy chain regulators you're going to need a left thread male to male adapter.

The supplier has both right and left hand thread secondary regulators. I just grabbed one of them for the link.

fwiw, that's actually not what is generally referred to as a "secondary regulator". Secondary regulators sit downstream of a primary regulator. That's simply an add-on primary regulator...

Cheers!

So which do I need to piggyback onmy regulator. It should be right hand threads because it will go into the gauge port of my current regulator.

The simplest and least expensive solution is, as already mentioned, adding another primary regulator to your existing setup.

Two different ways to do this: find a second primary regulator that will attach where your existing high pressure gauge threads into your existing regulator, and get the correct thread type. Like this one linked earlier, just make sure the nipple is threaded correctly when you order it, and that the threaded hole for the high pressure gauge matches you gauge setup.

Or you can get one of these, which actually attaches to your tank, and your existing regulator simply threads onto the new regulator.

The latter is a bit more expensive than the former, but otoh, with the latter you don't even have to think about the type of nipple you need...

Cheers!

I went thru this a few weeks ago myself. I ended up getting a dual primary regulator and have been very happy. In case you were wondering I got it from beveragefactory.com.

Why not just get one of those inline regulators with the gauge. Set the regulator on the tank for the higher pressure you need, dial down the pressure with the inline regulator.

Why not just get one of those inline regulators with the gauge. Set the regulator on the tank for the higher pressure you need, dial down the pressure with the inline regulator.

Maybe because he'd actually need to buy two secondary regulators?

Cheers!

One thing you might consider is getting two secondary regulators. Primaries are pretty expensive. I bought 3 of these https://www.surpluscenter.com/Item.asp?item=4-1489 yesterday, and along with gauges, they are still cheaper than a single primary. I also didn't want two regulators hanging off my bottle. It seems more accident-prone like that, and I don't like taking chances with high-pressure gases...

day_trippr said:
Maybe because he'd actually need to buy two secondary regulators?

Cheers!

Why? He's got a T off the primary manifold right now. One for the high pressure keg one for low pressure regulator. There's no need for 2 secondaries.

Sort of like to picture below, but with only one secondary regulator.

image-2310190365.jpg

Why? He's got a T off the primary manifold right now. One for the high pressure keg one for low pressure regulator. There's no need for 2 secondaries.

Sort of like to picture below, but with only one secondary regulator.

^ this !

Secondary regulators need more pressure on their input side than would be appropriate for carbing beer - ie: you can't put 12-15 psi into a secondary regulator and expect it to regulate its output in the same range. And as the OP said nothing about wanting to carb soda, that drop off the primary wye would be useless, as it would have to be too high to maintain the carb level of any beer aside from an explosively carbed heffy ;)

Cheers!

image-517062150.jpg

Ok, so I bought my tank used and it came with a single gauge regulator from micromatic. I purchased a dual gauge micromatic regulator with a male to male left thread to daisy chain them so now I have a dual primary regulator. I thought that was the original question.

Back