Are these bottles unsafe to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crandlebrew

Reaction score
I have 8 old Lorina Lemonade flip cap bottles that I have left uncleaned for about a year as decorations. They have black mold on the inside, but I am thinking about cleaning and sanitizing them and using them for hard lemonade. Is that safe? Has anyone done this as well?

I bought 2 bottles of the lemonade a couple of years back because they had the flip-top. If I recall correctly 1 of them broke after I carbonated a beer though I might have over-carbonated. The second bottle is still going strong. I bottled a Weizenbock just the other day. I would have no qualms using them despite having the first bottle break. If there's a negative, it's the fact that they're clear which could skunk your beer if you leave it in the light for extended periods. This isn't too much of an issue for me as I keep my bottles in the basement that doesn't see all that much light and I only take it out when I'm ready to drink the beer contained within. :rockin:

Latest posts

Back