Tap pours to much head!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jutty

Reaction score
I'm quite sure I know the answer to my own question but am wondering if anyone else has done this before I alter my keg system.
I have a keg system. Normally roll stouts and EPAs at 8-9 psi. When I roll wheats and IPAs i like 10-12 psi. But serving at 10-12 psi gives me half a glass of head. Dialling back to 8 psi, after time the beer becomes less carbonated.
I have a Costco purchased keg fridge with the preset length of hosing. Should I chop 6" off? 12" off? I would say the full length is a little over 48" and it is the proper id hose (3/16 or 1/4 or 5/16). I'd have to check the exact size but it's the default size.

What temperature do you want your beer to be and what carbonation volume do you want to maintain? I am assuming that you have a single stage regulator, that is a regulator that you can set one output pressure.

your reference to the "standard" beverage tubing diameter is vague. The "standard" doesn't really exist. Most homebrewers tend to use 3/16" ID for short runs in their kegerators. A good rule of thumb to start with is 1' per 1psi.

I was asking about carbonation level and keg temp because it matter. 2.0 volumes at 36ºF would only need 5psi to maintain. Now if you wanted the keg at 40 with 2.5 volumes you will want around 12psi. So for the first one you could start with around 6' of tubing and see how it pours whereas the second example you would want to start with around 12' and see how it pours.

Additionally, if you have any spots where the beer line warms up then you have another spot to generate large volumes of foam. So if you have a tap tower coming off the top of your kegerator then you likely will have warm beer at the top of the tower. Heat rises and cold falls. The best solution is a small fan and duct to blow cold air from the bottom up to the top of the tower. But even a well balanced system can generate lots of foam from a warm spot in the line.

I just plugged my values into the link provided. It recommended 10' of 3/16" ID hose @12psi. Tried a pint. A bit slow. Drank the pint. Cut hose down to 9'. Poured a nice 1 1/2 finger head. Now drinking that pint. I better pour 1 more just to make sure!! Lol. Thanx for the advice. I know have it pouring nicely.

Back