Tall skinny co2 tanks.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justdrumin

Reaction score
I found this one on eBay for a pretty damn good price. It says they have been reconditioned with a new valve, rust resistant paint, and hydro tested. Anything wrong with it? I started piecing together my keezer build and with 6 kegs there won't be much room for a tank inside. I like the idea of this one. It's only 4" wide by 29 3/4" tall. With a collar this would fit with no issues.

http://ebay.com/itm/271328921636?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1

Edit: Added picture in place of link. They want $32 + calculated shipping.

$(KGrHqRHJC!E-kq(C4gfBPu7Wo5jlw~~60_3.jpg

The link didn't work for me.

In general, the steel tanks are much cheaper than the aluminum tanks. The benefit of aluminum is that they are more rust resistant and lighter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-lb-CO2-Ta...636?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f2c76c824

this is the one I believe

I thought these were oxygen tanks that they switch over to co2

I could be wrong be sure you can get it fill because exchanging them maybe a problem

all the best

S_M

That would be the one. Good point! I didn't think about filling them. That could be a problem. I will have to check with my local airgas. They wanted $58 for a used 5# steel tank empty too.

I could be wrong be sure you can get it fill because exchanging them maybe a problem,

+1 - Verify you can get these tanks filled in your area, or that your local airgas/praxair will exchange a 7 lbs. tank. Before I got my 20# tank, I had a 4# tank that came with a used kegerator I purchased. Airgas and praxair would not exchange the 4 pounder.

That would be the one. Good point! I didn't think about filling them. That could be a problem. I will have to check with my local airgas. They wanted $58 for a used 5# steel tank empty too.

I hear you there I checked with the gas place here about a new steel 20 pound tank they wanted 158 for it

but they were throwing in a free fill that would have saved me all of 20 bucks

so a soda guy had some old 20 pounds that have a plastic bottom on them which are hard to hydro

so he sold me a couple for 25 a piece, just took them in and exchanged them

ended up with two full 20 pounders for a total of 90 dollars

so shop around there are deals out there :)

all the best

S_M

I have one of them for several years that I bought from them on Ebay. Does what it is supposed to do. My local place will only fill it to 5# but that works for me. I use it as one of my "spares" to replace a another tank when it goes empty. No problems at all.

I have one of them for several years that I bought from them on Ebay. Does what it is supposed to do. My local place will only fill it to 5# but that works for me. I use it as one of my "spares" to replace a another tank when it goes empty. No problems at all.

Thanks! Good to know. I'd be fine with it at 5# too. I just mainly want it so I can put it inside my keezer. I'm only going to have 4 kegs right now...but from what I've heard here...I'll be wanting six pretty quick. It's a tight fit to get six, but I'm sure this tank will fit no problem.

I have one of those as well. I really like it because it fits in the corner out of the way. My local gas place fills it for me no problem.

I have one of those as well. I really like it because it fits in the corner out of the way. My local gas place fills it for me no problem.

Great to know! Did you get it filled at airgas or a small mom and pop type place? I know I have an airgas right down the road from me and I don't know of any other places. I would be stoked if they could fill it! I could for sure put it inside my keezer. I'd like to keep it inside if I can. The normal 5# one won't fit. Is this the seller you guys bought from? Is it a good one.

Check with a fire extinguisher company in your area, if you have one. That's where I get my CO2 fillled here in Gainesville, FL. Maybe Gainesville, GA has a similar place.

Check with a fire extinguisher company in your area, if you have one. That's where I get my CO2 fillled here in Gainesville, FL. Maybe Gainesville, GA has a similar place.

I had no idea. I actually do have one right next to my work. I'll have to check that out. Thanks!

Yeah, at my fire extinguisher place they filled the 4# tank I mentioned earlier. I also purchased a 20# reconditioned, hydro tested, and filled CO2 tank from them for $120.

I have three of these tanks. A friend of mine who worked at a welding supply shop gave them to me for free. They work great. I always have a spare on hand. One tank lasts me about a year.

Air Gas would not fill them. They wouldn't exchange them either.

The fire extinguisher place will them. I think they hold 7-7 1/2 pounds.

The fire extinguisher place makes me get them tested every three or five years for $20/each.

Long term, they are not free.

I have three of these tanks. A friend of mine who worked at a welding supply shop gave them to me for free. They work great. I always have a spare on hand. One tank lasts me about a year.

Air Gas would not fill them. They wouldn't exchange them either.

The fire extinguisher place will them. I think they hold 7-7 1/2 pounds.

The fire extinguisher place makes me get them tested every three or five years for $20/each.

Long term, they are not free.

Fire extenguisher place it is then! I will check with them. If I remember correctly, your supposed to have them tested anyways. I don't think many people do, but I think your supposed to. Thanks!

+1 - Verify you can get these tanks filled in your area, or that your local airgas/praxair will exchange a 7 lbs. tank. Before I got my 20# tank, I had a 4# tank that came with a used kegerator I purchased. Airgas and praxair would not exchange the 4 pounder.

I also have a converted 4 lber as well, and can echo Pie_Man's experience; ALSO, when I took it in, they would charge me the 5# price to fill, as they did it by set sizing....they don't do by the lb and you either get a 5, 10, and 20 fill....so you don't get your money's worth on a 5# fill with a 4lb tank.

I guess with a 7# you can get a full 5lb, or 7lb for the 10lb price.

I keep my 4# as a spare, but I now do a 5# exchange for much cheaper than I could ever get the #4 filled for.

At $32, I'd probably pass on this one and buy the standard aluminum #5 tank for convenience sake (you can either fill or exchange, depending on the services in your area). I've seen them for $40 bucks empty.

ALSO, when I took it in, they would charge me the 5# price to fill, as they did it by set sizing....they don't do by the lb and you either get a 5, 10, and 20 fill....so you don't get your money's worth on a 5# fill with a 4lb tank.

I guess with a 7# you can get a full 5lb, or 7lb for the 10lb price.

Same thing here, charged for the 5# fill even though my tank was only 4 lbs. That's one reason I switched to the 20# tank, it's only about $5 more to fill than the 5# tank, so I get four times the CO2 for just a little more money. Plus, I don't have to go in for fill-ups as often which is convenient. I'll add that filling CO2 tanks is not the primary business function of the fire exstinguisher shop in my area. I have to call ahead and make sure someone will be there to fill the thing, that's usually between 4-5pm. Having a standard sized tank allows you to use the exchange places which maybe more convenient for you.

Right now my tank is in the kegerator, but I plan to move it outside and hide it behind a tall and thin refrigerator that I'll use mostly for commerical bottle storage.

I just called my local fire extinguisher service. They said they can fill the 7# no prob for $15. I know I've heard here that it costs like $10 or $12 for the 5#. So this deal doesn't sound bad to me. I haven't found any tank around here, including CL, for under $60. Within distance of my house of course. I found some for $45, but they're 45 min away...kinda defeats the purpose if you'd ask me.

Edit: I might add that I REALLY don't want the co2 tank outside of my keezer and the typical 5# tank won't fit inside with 6 cornys, but this one is thinner and taller. I don't have the diameter of the typical 5# tank, but it looks much fatter than this one.

Check beverage elements. They have those tanks a little cheaper I believe. I have one and the place that fills it charges me for 5# refilled but gives me the full 7 lbs.

Check beverage elements. They have those tanks a little cheaper I believe. I have one and the place that fills it charges me for 5# refilled but gives me the full 7 lbs.

NICE!! They have it for $25 and it's $39 shipped. Thank you sir. Probably saved me a bit of money. Especially since I just bought a chest freezer and four ball locks on kegconnections Black Friday sale :D I got four ball locks for $170 shipped. I'll have two more on the way soon...I hope. SWMBO is already getting on my butt with how much I'm spending. It'll be more than worth it when my build is done! So beverage elements it is!

No problem glad I could help. I'm buying stuff for a keezer as well. I'm sure swmbo will not be happy when she sees all the boxes from black Friday/cyber Monday shopping. But she wanted me to keg to get rid of bottles.

No problem glad I could help. I'm buying stuff for a keezer as well. I'm sure swmbo will not be happy when she sees all the boxes from black Friday/cyber Monday shopping. But she wanted me to keg to get rid of bottles.

So my SWMBO isn't the only one that's pissed off about empty bottles laying around and a bunch more in the closet?!? Lol. She likes sweet, sparkling hard cider too and I told her that I could do that VERY easily with a keg. So she was into it because of that too. It was a pretty good pitch on my part :D

I just don't think she knows I'll be keeping the bottles and buying two more kegs though :drunk:

So I was looking through some of my older threads and I thought I would update this one. I bought my tank a while back and LOVE it. I had barely enough room for six cornies and now with this tank I can still keep it in my keezer. It's still a work in progress, but with some Christmas cash i hope to order my perlicks and lines, etc. soon. Here are some pics of it in my 7.0 cuft magic chef.

image.jpg

Hey man. Don't know if you are still around, but I'm getting a freezer, 7.2 frigidaire model (which might barely be a touch taller than this magic chef, and am wondering if you can fit this co2 tank in your keezer without a collar? I have two of these guys. I will probably need to build a collar but am wondering if it is still fitable until I get the extra supplies.

Back