So... I'm wanting to get into kegging.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan0914

Reaction score
So im wanting to get into keging. I've been bottling for about 6 years now and im just sick and tired of it. Im still looking for a chest freezer but ive narrowed it down to a 7.2, 8.8 or maybe a 14.8 but im not sure i want to shell out that much. and for the kegs and all that good stuff i was looking at packages. im wanting to be able to hold at least 3 kegs and hopefully more in the future, and then also ferment in their also. Here is this 3 keg kit from keg connection. other than that thats about all i would need right. what else does everyone recommends. does anyone know of anything cheaper. Im not really wanting to spend a lot so Im seeing what everyone recommends.

First I would say buy the bigger freezer. You'll want it later. Or you could start with the smaller one and turn it into a fermentation chamber later when you buy the big one. fermenting in your kegerator usually doesn't work since most like to drink their beer well below ferm temps. As for cheapest, I don't know. You can probably find something similar a little cheaper, but I have nothing but good things to say about Keg Connection, and would recommend them highly. Do check the serving hose lengths though, as you will probably want 6-8 ft of 3/16 ID tubing to pour out of, and some of those kits come with shorter hoses.

Good luck. You'll never look back.

I'm new to this too and I bought a 5cu freezer a month ago and I'm already regretting not getting at least a 7 cuft.

Keep an eye on Craigslist and you should be able to find a used chest freezer at a great price. I paid $150 for a 15-cubic-foot freezer that was in great shape. It turned out that the seller was a (former) home brewer.

get the biggest you can afford. You'll want the space. I have a 14.8 cu ft and already want another. Even if its not filled with kegs you can use the extra space to cold crash and condition in carboys or buckets.

I got an 8 cu ft chest freezer for my kegerator. It can hold 4 kegs easily and an extra two on top of the compressor with my collar. I alos ended up getting a small 5 cu ft freezer to use as a fermentation/lagering chamber.

If you have the room my personal preference is to recomment to get a "medium" size freezer for the kegs (unless you want a 6-10 tap kegerator....not that that is a bad idea), and then get a smaller freezer to use as a fermentation chamber since the temps are pretty different between serving and fermenting/lagering. For me 4 taps is enough, but to each his own.

Take a look at the show us your kegarator thread and you'll get plenty of ideas, that's where I the idea for my kegerator.

+1 If you aren't in a rush you can save loads of dough by scouring wants ads and ebay and grabbing things as you get a deal.

Keep an eye on Craigslist and you should be able to find a used chest freezer at a great price. I paid $150 for a 15-cubic-foot freezer that was in great shape. It turned out that the seller was a (former) home brewer.

i went with that kegconnection kit. glad I did, solid kit.

i got perlicks, well worth the money.

Kegconnection is cool because it's basically plug and play. Big drawbacks for me were the barbed fittings, the lack of valves on the manifold, small bottle, and the hose clamps on the fittings (also pretty high upgrade charge for Perlicks)

Go stainless if you can, and a good forward sealing faucet like Perlick or Ventmatic---you will appreciate this by the end of your first keg.

I would second and third the advice to go bigger than you think you need right now; but not so big you'll be living in it--yanno? :)

so i just found a 5 cu.ft on craigs list that im going to get and use for a fermentation champer and then fine another for kegs.
now with a chest freezer you dont have get a new thermostat i can just connect my ranco temp control to it right.

The 7' Holiday at Lowes will not fit 4 ball locks well at all. The 4th one has to be JAMMED in there - I've got one...

I wound up buying an 8.8 on sale for $200 at Sears 2 weeks later - and it works much better. I still have both, but the 8.8 is the keezer, and the 7 is now a fermentation chamber (And a poor one at that - It only holds 3 cornys, and won't fit a fermanke - Or sankmentor - or 15 gallon fermenter

+1 on getting the larger unit. I got a fridge that can hold 5 kegs, and would have never expected that I would keep it full. Now, I wish that I had room for 5 more. :)

so i just found a 5 cu.ft on craigs list that im going to get and use for a fermentation champer and then fine another for kegs.
now with a chest freezer you dont have get a new thermostat i can just connect my ranco temp control to it right.

Yes. It sounds like you'll need 2 controllers now:)

Latest posts

Back