Regulator HELP!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ-Bill

Reaction score
I'm running a bank of 2 regulators but I'm only using the 1st for my Keg, the other if not being used ( I can't get them apart I've stripped the center fitting beyong recognition.. They will not come apart)
Anyway I was carbing the Keg I've had the psi at 25 for the last 3 days. Tonight I went down and set the psi to 10 and bleed the Keg. I tried to pour a glass to get the air out of the serving line (pinic tap).. I played with the pressure for abit then decieded to set it back to 25-30, it wouldn't go.. I turned the dial all the way and nothing..

I thought maybe my tank was empty so I disconnected the regs and opened the tank (lots lefts) I hooked the regs again with the valves shut and I got pressure in both, I turned the valve on to the Keg and the gauge dropped to 0, I opened the valve to 2nd unused regulator it dropped to 0. If I back the nut off to the regs and tank the CO2 hisses away. So there's pressure going in and it registers on the low side UNTIL I open the valve?? Once the pressure drops on the low side I can't get it back unless remove the regs from the tank and then re-attach.

????

I took the 1st Regulator apart looking for dirt and found nothing. but even if I did find something it wouldn't explain why the 2nd reg would act the same.

Also If I loosen the Nut (where the high side gauge would be) on the 2nd regulator the Co2 leaks out so I know that the high side is good.

Sorry if this is long and confusing, I've been at this for almost 4hrs and it's driving me nutz!!

Any ideas?

I checked both valves, they seem fine normal and functioning like they should.

Is this the first time you've used this regulator(s)? When you have them attached to the keg and turn on the gas you said it drops down in pressure (I think that's what you said if I am reading it right); Have you tried turning up the pressure? If so, does it go up? If you pull the vent plug on your keg, does it hiss/bleed air?

Did you join these regs together yourself? To lazy for pic; should be hooked up like this if you follow my poor attempt to explain...

LO PSI gauge LO PSI gauge
tank > HI port on reg > HI port on reg > tank level gauge
LO port to keg LO port to keg

the regs were already hooked up, when I got them (3 in arow) I could only remove the last one a thought that I'd leave these together because it's only a matter of time before I get another tap.. As of right now hey're not working. I've adjusted both regs up hign to around 30-35psi. If I dissconnect them the attach them to the CO2 tank with the valve shut, turn the gas on both gauges read 30-35psi. as soon as I open the valves to each reg the gauge drops to 0 on the unused regulator and 15 psi (pressure in the keg) on the used one..
I'm getting annoyed

I'm at work now. I'll snap a few tonight when I get home.

GOT IT!!

After doing some research today online and talking to a few shops today I decieded to take the Regs apart again now that I understand them abit more.. I also took apart a 3rd Regulator I have as a comparison. As soon as I took hthem apart I spotted the problem right away. When I originally took the 2 regs apart they booh looked fine but I didn't realize that the same part was broken on both. Having the 3rd really helped.

In the picture you can see the small 2 peices . between the regulator and the spring, well those are actually supposed to be 1 peice. Both regulators have this peice broken so I didn't realize it the 1st time. luckily my 3rd reg had a good seat so I but that one in and everything is working fine in the 1st reg.

Monday I'll order 2 rebuild kits

imgp1137wt7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Latest posts

Back