Recovering from poor dry hop/racking technique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StLouBrew

Reaction score
So last night I went to keg a pale ale I dry hopped last week. This was the first time I used pellets instead of whole leaf. I also dry hopped in the primary. When I took the lid off the fermenter I noticed a lot of hop particles floating on the surface. I thought they were ONLY on the surface but as I was racking to the keg I could see bits of stuff flowing through the siphon tube. At that point I stopped and put a hop bag on the end of the racking cane and finished the remaining 3/4 of the transfer. I put CO2 on the keg and stuck it in the kegerator.

Today I drew off a sample and there are a fair amount of floaties. Is it safe to assume all that will simply settle out if I leave the keg still?? Also if you have any post-mortem comments, please bring them on. I'm guessing that either of the following would have prevented my problem:

• Initially putting the hop pellets in a hop bag
  • Cold crashing?
  • Shoulda put the hop bag on the racking cane from the start

Cheers :mug:

If it isn't clogging the beer out post of your keg, leave it alone... Everything will settle out and in a few pints it will be fine.

Agreed, time and cold will fix this in a few days.

To avoid it in the first place, cold crash everything to the bottom before racking...

Cheers!

Agree with cold crash first. But, if you don't cold crash first, the hops will eventually settle out. From my own experience, it took about two weeks after kegging to settle.

Latest posts

Back