Real cheap cornys here

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got mine, they look fine, may need some gaskets for the ball valves, the lid gaskets look ok. Some soda residue, but nothing bad. I also realized I only ordered 2 and got 4, hows that for luck? :D

Wow, great for you! Was your order for Qty 1 or Qty 2? The item that was posted was for 2 kegs for $25. If you ordered quantity 2 of that item, you would be getting 4 kegs for $50 plus shipping. If you got 4 kegs for $25 plus shipping then you did indeed get a great deal! Congrats! :mug:

Man, I wish I would have seen this thread a few days ago. I'm always looking for a deal on kegs!

I know what you mean. That's an amazing price. It would have worked out to about $17 each with shipping for me. I had 4 in my cart ready to go and instead of going ahead with the order, I went to grab some lunch and figured I'd get the order placed then. When I came back, it was gone off the website and couldn't be ordered. Major bummer. :(

Ok, so I actually ended up getting 4 kegs on this deal. After the original link posted by the OP disappeared, I Googled "Sundrop Soda Keg" on a whim to see if any other locations might have them. Google turned up another link at the same site that was still live. I put 4 in my cart and checked out. I did get a confirmation email, but wasn't exactly expecting my order to go through. I waited on posting until I got a more definitive answer. The next day, that link was gone from the site as well. I figured my order would get canceled. I ended up getting a shipment confirmation with tracking numbers so they shipped and I received them today.

I was worried that I'd be getting some junk kegs they had laying in the corner and didn't want to sell, but they look pretty good. I just gave them a quick once over while I was home for lunch. My only concern is that it looks like two of them are older Firestone kegs with the racetrack style lid (the one's with a square o-ring for the lid). Did anyone else get any of these from Sundrop? Does anyone know if a standard corny o-ring will fit a racetrack lid?

If you are talking about the oval one, then yes, I have 2 firestone style kegs with that same lid, and I use the regular round o-rings. Works fine for me

The kind I'm referring to look like the one below.

I'm hoping the o-rings from a standard "oval" Cornelius lid will work.

Sounds like you're saying it will work, which is good news. Just wanted to clarify since they're both technically oval.

race.jpg

I got mine today, covered in stickers and goo.

Two of the cornies have plastic lids with no check valves. One of the plastic lids has a hole in the center with a rubber plug. Am I going to be able to use these?

Thanks,

-Joe

Sounds like you're saying it will work, which is good news. Just wanted to clarify since they're both technically oval.
I don't have any experience with those racetrack lids, but I did notice that the Chi company sells the gaskets for them separate from the oval ones.

http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_3_6

Yeah, I have 2 just like'em. I use the standard round o-rings and they seem to work just fine for me.

Two of the cornies have plastic lids with no check valves. One of the plastic lids has a hole in the center with a rubber plug. Am I going to be able to use these?

Thanks,

-Joe

Sure you can use them for a door stop. It sounds to me like you'll need to buy new lids.:(

What about posts that have some sort of plastic insert in them and plastic gas dip tubes? Are there supposed to be o-rings in addition to the plastic inserts?

That sucks. Mine were a little sticky from soda, but nothing that didn't rinse off easily. The all have one sticker about 2" wide around the top, but I'm leaving because I'm afraid removing them will leave a gooey mess behind.

All in all, I'm very pleased (thanks again OP). Clean, rinse, dry, and new rubber is all mine needed.

That sucks. Mine were a little sticky from soda, but nothing that didn't rinse off easily. The all have one sticker about 2" wide around the top, but I'm leaving because I'm afraid removing them will leave a gooey mess behind.
Most of the goo did appear to be soda residue and cleaned up easily.

I just got off the phone with them about the plastic lids. They said no problem, just send the lids back and they'll replace them. It'll cost me $8 in shipping, but such is the gamble you take with cheap kegs, I guess.

-Joe

Most of the goo did appear to be soda residue and cleaned up easily.

I just got off the phone with them about the plastic lids. They said no problem, just send the lids back and they'll replace them. It'll cost me $8 in shipping, but such is the gamble you take with cheap kegs, I guess.

-Joe

Yeah but you're still ahead of the game even with $8 more. Consider most are selling at around $35 a piece with much more expensive shipping. Imho, it was a good gamble. I got mine, one was still pressurized but missing the relief ring. The other looks good, but I haven't pressure tested. At any rate for around $16 a piece shipped it was a steal. I always replace the o-rings anyway.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not complaining, just stating the painfully obvious :)

Obvious Man, to the rescue!

The ones I tried hold pressure, but I've got all new o-rings on order anyway. For $3 each might as well swap 'em out.

-Joe

Back