Priming after cold storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmarshall

Reaction score
I am getting ready to bottle a tripel that, at the end of it's aging, was cold stored for 2 weeks at around 33F. I'm going to add fresh yeast, but my question is how to calculate the priming sugar addition. I'm going to aim for 3 volumes, but I know that you have to calculate taking into account what is dissolved in solution already. There are tables for estimating this based on fermentation temp, but doesn't aging it for a while allow significant amounts to de-saturate? Does the fact that I cold stored this cause any issues?

Thanks

Great question. Priming volumes are based on temperature, which indicates how.much co2 would be allowed to desaturate from solution.

Im also curious about this, because I just bottled an oktoberfest. It was at 40F and then I let it warm to 70F overnight to bottle. I then calculated priming sugar based on it's warmest temperature, 70F. Im afraid that it.may not have.had time to dissipate all the co2 in time and now I have 50 bottle bombs ticking.

Sorry to half hijack, but the question is so similar. I want to find out with you.
Bump.

No worries, not a thread hijack. The two questions are related. Can one of the homebrew gurus on here give this one a shot? I've looked and can't seem to find anyone who addresses this question in any of the books I have or the online priming articles. Basically, we would like a good explanation of the dynamics of CO2 retention post-fermentation/prebottling and how time and temp affect this.

Thanks revvy

I was really nervous that the co2 didn't have enough time to come out of solution as it warmed to room temp. What is the standard for lagers being bottled? Something I can do different next time overall to make bottling easier?

Thanks revvy

I was really nervous that the co2 didn't have enough time to come out of solution as it warmed to room temp. What is the standard for lagers being bottled? Something I can do different next time overall to make bottling easier?

Like i said, if you let the temps come up to room, it doesn't really matter. Same for lagers, or cold crashing. Just bring them back up and proceed as normal.

What about the effect of time? The immediately post-fermentation beer is basically a supersaturated solution of CO2, but should equilibrate over time, right? My concern isn't so much having exploding bottles but ending up with a lower than expected carbonation level. is there any way to gauge this?

jmarshall said:
What about the effect of time? The immediately post-fermentation beer is basically a supersaturated solution of CO2, but should equilibrate over time, right? My concern isn't so much having exploding bottles but ending up with a lower than expected carbonation level. is there any way to gauge this?

It seems what revvy is saying is that it isn't a function of time, but that as temperature increases or.decreases, the beer has a certain potential to hold so much co2, which will change w temp. If you prime based on whatever temp you have currently, it will carb correctly, and once you cap it it doesn't matter the temp as far as volume of co2. At that point, temp just changes carb timing.

One thing I have a feeling about, is that if you raise, lower, raise, lower temps. I think if you have a multitude of shifts once fermentation is complete, the co2 in solution will desaturate to whatever your lowest point is, and from that point on, no new co2 is being introduced so there is mo way to resaturate the solution.

Please correct me if im wrong

Back