Primed keg with sugar but now want it on tap...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosquitocontrol

Reaction score
So I kegged a few batches and primed with sugar like normal on the 13th. Usually I can easily wait the three weeks minimum. But I've been slacking on brewing since its summer (and I dread the long cooling time) so my pipelines depleted. Of course I kicked a keg last night and all that's left is the ones that are were recently kegged.

Whats the earliest I can assume that all the sugar has been eaten? I'd like to throw one in the kegerator as early as possible so I don't kill my other keg in a week (Kiwi Wit turned out perfect!). But I don't want residual sweetness from the priming sugar. Was planning to up the carb level by force carbing. And yes, I know it will taste better if I let it condition... but I really don't want to have to buy beer.

Hmmm- I wonder if most of the priming sugar is already gone anyway? If you added, say, 2 ounces of priming sugar for a keg which is what I typically do, I doubt it would make much difference in the flavor even if it hasn't fermented all the way yet.

I wouldn't think that it would take long at all for a small amount to ferment out. How much priming sugar did you use?

I used a little less then half a cup of table sugar for the 5gal batch. Yes, I really should start weighing it.

I used a little less then half a cup of table sugar for the 5gal batch. Yes, I really should start weighing it.

Well, I think 2/3 cup is around 5 ounces. So, a little less than 1/2 cup is probably 3.5 ounces or so? I guess that might take a bit longer to ferment out than what I was thinking. I use 2 ounces for a keg.

Just hook it up. The bit of sugar won't change a thing about the flavor of the beer. Force carb it now.

The yeast will eventually eat up that sugar as it sits in the fridge, and this will produce extra CO2, which will (slowly) increase the pressure in your keg, giving the potential for an overcarb. That extra pressure will, however, most likely push back past the reg and your keg will stay at whatever pressure your reg is set at, so you most likely won't overcarb. To make sure, check your pressure gauge on the reg every day or so to make sure it isn't climbing up. If it does, just vent the keg a bit to let it get back down to the equilibrium set pressure.

Also, if it is sweet because of the bit of sugar, you can just pull it out of the kegerator and let the yeast eat the sugar. Hell, pull a sample from it now and see how sweet it tastes before you carb it.

Or, 1/2 cup of sugar in 5 gallons is 0.45 tsp in 12 oz. Pull a glass of your other beer and add a half teaspoon of sugar. See how sweet it makes it.

I guess I'll wait a few days then try it out. In the mean time I found a half empty keg I put away for desperate days. A raspberry UFO with way too much raspberry extract. I don't even like UFO. I have no idea what I was thinking when I ordered this. I'll dull it out with some white ale and hopefully make it drinkable for the time being. That combined with the kiwi wit will make a fruity couple of days. Likely ending with a lot of Sailor Jerry.

I was hoping I had something in the back of the closet I forgot about but it didn't work. This also gives me an excuse to brew a lot in the next week or two. That empty fermenter is staring at me. Thanks for the quick responses as always.

Back