Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Party Pig

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2007, 11:38 AM   #1
BruDaddy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Party Pig

My 2nd batch of brew is in the fermenter and after the 'fun' of bottling my first, I decided to try kegging for #2. The party pig looked to me like a simple and economical way to go, so I have 2 pigs waiting. The question that comes up now is how long I should cure the kegs before refrigeration (I have a pale ale in the carboy). I just tasted the first bottle of my first batch and it clearly needs more time, a bit too bitter for my tastes so I plan to let them sit for another week or so before cooling another. This is no problem with bottles since I can chill them one at a time until the taste is to my liking. But with the party pig, I'm comitting half my batch to a taste test. So, what advice do folks have? I'm thinking that maybe I can have a taste at room temp before deciding to chill, is that OK?

By the way, my 46th birthday is this Saturday so I get a real kick out of being a 'junior' anything these days!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2007, 01:52 PM   #2
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

If you fill the pig from your clearing tank, the usual 3 weeks would apply. If you rack straight from the fermenter, make that 4-5 weeks. One real plus of a pig or keg, you can take small samples to track the progress and not have to burn a full bottle. And you know the rest of the batch will taste the same.

[since I'm coming up on the double nickel, "Enjoy it while you can, boy!"]

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Last edited by david_42; 02-02-2007 at 01:55 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply