Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Nitrogen/co2 tank

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2009, 09:34 PM   #1
wegz15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

Default Nitrogen/co2 tank

So, my father past away about 2 years ago and I went over to my moms house today and was rummaging through his stuff in the garage. I found two probably 5 lb, maybe 10 lb, nitrogen cylinders and one regulator valve. I was wondering if I could get the nitrogen tank filled with co2? Also, was going to keep one nitrogen tank for stouts, but I'm not sure how to do the half nitro/co2. Any help would be much appreciated. Never kegged before but found these and thought why not if I would only need to buy a couple kegs and tubing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2009, 10:26 PM   #2
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wegz15 View Post
I was wondering if I could get the nitrogen tank filled with co2? Also, was going to keep one nitrogen tank for stouts, but I'm not sure how to do the half nitro/co2.
I don't know the specifics of tanks, so I don't know if you would be able to put CO2 in a nitrogen tank. There's probably some sort of regulations about what gas can go in what kind of tank... I just don't know for sure.

The nitro+CO2 mix that is used for stouts is done by actually filling a single tank with a mixture of the two gases. It's often called "beer gas". It's not done by using two separate tanks.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:29 PM   #3
Torg
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

No you can not, and should not put CO2 in a nitrogen tank. CO2 is a liquid when under pressure (why we call them 5#, 10# etc), Nitogen is stored under high pressure (as in a suba tank).

The regulators are different, and the burst disks inside are at different pressures.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:03 AM   #4
JMG680
Recipes 

If you can't put CO2 in a Nitrogen tank, or the other way around how do you get a "Beer Gas" mix?

Any help on this. I was looking at a Stout Keezer and need to see how it is done, could you use 2 tanks and mix it in the keg?

Primary1- Mead
Primary2- Cherry Oak Stout
Primary3- Strawberry Blond Ale
Secondary- IPA
Bottled- English Barley Wine
Keg1- Agave Wit
Keg2- Pale Ale
Keg3- Shiner Clown
Keg4- AIR

Back from deployment and ready to Brew

Old 12-09-2009, 11:00 AM   #5
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMG680 View Post
If you can't put CO2 in a Nitrogen tank, or the other way around how do you get a "Beer Gas" mix?
Maybe there is a tank specifically made for beer gas.

I really don't know. having a special tank and faucet just for stouts has always seemed a bit too much for me. I've only made maybe 3 or 4 stouts in my career, so the investment in special hardware doesn't make sense for me.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:30 PM   #6
JMG680
Recipes 

The cost does go up a bunch to have a tap just for stouts, but I love stouts and would always have one on tap, so I would be kicking my self for not doing it. But I need to know how you fill the tank.

Primary1- Mead
Primary2- Cherry Oak Stout
Primary3- Strawberry Blond Ale
Secondary- IPA
Bottled- English Barley Wine
Keg1- Agave Wit
Keg2- Pale Ale
Keg3- Shiner Clown
Keg4- AIR

Back from deployment and ready to Brew

Old 12-09-2009, 12:59 PM   #7
beergutbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Most gas companies will fill the tank for you. I looked into it a couple of months ago and the cost for a re-fill was 40 or 120 for a 10# tank. The problem I had was the cost of the tank, so I am going to wait.
You may want to check the pressure test date on those tanks, I found out that they have to be pressure checked every 5 or so years, at a fee of course.
But with that said, call around to gas companies and they will tell you where to go, bars get them filled somewhere

Old 12-09-2009, 01:07 PM   #8
skibumdc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

While Yes you could do a beer gas mix in those cylinders, good luck finding someone that will fill them up.
Near me, NoVa/DC area, the only way to get Beergas is using an oxygen/gas supplier (Roberts) and they will only exchange tanks, and their own tanks at that.
The Beergas tanks they have use regular CO2 regulators, not the special nitrogen regulators.

If need be, sell some of the canisters and then find a place that will sell beer-gas mixtures already in the bottle?

Old 12-09-2009, 01:32 PM   #9
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

Sell one of the nitrogen tanks, or maybe you can exchange one at a welding store for a CO2 bottle. You can do "nitro" with CO2 and N2 in separate tanks. You carbonate with CO2 first then switch to N2 for serving. Then switch back to recarbonate, etc. Kind of a pain, but it is workable.

You can also find mixing valves that connect to both tanks.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-09-2009, 02:09 PM   #10
TXCrash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2742 Times on 2701 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
Sell one of the nitrogen tanks, or maybe you can exchange one at a welding store for a CO2 bottle. You can do "nitro" with CO2 and N2 in separate tanks. You carbonate with CO2 first then switch to N2 for serving. Then switch back to recarbonate, etc. Kind of a pain, but it is workable.

You can also find mixing valves that connect to both tanks.
I've never heard of such a thing, actually think I've seen a couple statements that there isn't. That said, I trust your word more than the "average random person on the internet "

Happen to have a link to what you're talking about?

Nitrogen tanks are rated for a higher pressure than co2. I'd think that if you can find a place that'll fill the tanks you'll be able to fit substantially more gas into a given cylinder but that's just internet gained knowledge speaking....

You could also use one to have wine on tap...
Are you just bored and wanted something, anything to type?-IrregularPulse

I will just push my son to have kids at 15. Then I will see the grandkids longer.-AMonkey
IP's wife's boobs weigh more than my wife.-Randar
My wife has the coordination of a drunk two legged spider.-Zuljin

Quick Reply