Newbie to Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The way I displayed the pics may have been confusing, so just to confirm...

The "naked" post shown is what I was using for gas in (could have mixed this up during cleaning since it worked fine on the 1st batch). The pic with the black disconnect is what I was using for beer out.

The long story for beer now being in the out line is that I mistakenly had the tap left in an open position somehow when I hit the keg with gas, and beer starting pouring, making a fine mess. Real newbie mistakes I guess. I had been messing with the tap a few days ago trying to install a tap handle I received for Christmas.

The posts are on the wrong sides. You can't mix them up- they aren't interchangeable. you are trying to jam a black quick disconnect on a gas post. The empty post is a beer out post.

Try it! Just take the black QD and stick it on the other post. It should pop right on!

Okay, I will give that a try as soon as I figure out how to get that black disconnect off :). Curious that I was able to get beer flowing even though I had the QD swapped? I may have to just back out the black QD while on the post and buy a new QD and post...

Just as all posts have poppets, all QDs have plungers.

While you managed to violate Kegging Rule 1 ("Black Is Beer, Gray Is Gas") - plus proved the whole elastic collision physics thing :D - the plunger still displaced the poppet...

Cheers!

So, I looked inside and the post that has the black QD has the long tube, so I must have swapped the posts during cleaning? I marked the keg with beer and gas at the posts, had the down tube at the right location but I guess I screwed up the posts upon re-install, (so I was placing black on beer and grey on gas). I should have known not to force the black QD and that should have been a flag something was wrong.

I have two plastic containers that I use to clean/soak and store all my fittings in. One is labeled "Gas" the other "Beer". I learned this helps eliminate interchanging the two. Little things like this helps with having an enjoyable hobby and helps save time.

Turns out neither of my posts were notched and the store can't figure out how I got two posts of very similar types. Bought two used posts that are easily identifiable, plus a new black QD and I am in business. Thanks everyone for the great feedback.

Turns out neither of my posts were notched[...]

Really? :confused:

251274d1422141608-newbie-kegging-out-post-pic.jpg

Looks like notches to me. And your other pic shows an un-notched post.

Cheers!

Really? :confused:

251274d1422141608-newbie-kegging-out-post-pic.jpg

Looks like notches to me. And your other pic shows an un-notched post.

Cheers!

Look at the base of that photo- it's notched, clearly.

The other picture, without the QD is not not notched. Again, clearly.

I think if you don't know what you're looking at, that it may be hard to see but these are plain. That picture, right there, is notched. It's a GAS post. Clearly.

I have two plastic containers that I use to clean/soak and store all my fittings in. One is labeled "Gas" the other "Beer". I learned this helps eliminate interchanging the two. Little things like this helps with having an enjoyable hobby and helps save time.

I still do the same- BEER on the left on the sink, GAS on the right. Always, even though I can pretty well tell the difference by now.

I think for lots of new keggers they get a supply of kegs, and tear them all down, without realizing that not only are gas and beer posts not interchangeable, that posts between different kegs are not interchangeable either! They tear down all the kegs, and then the cornelius 'out' posts are mixed in with the firestone 'in' posts, and it's almost never all sorted out properly!

I still do one keg at a time, gas on the right, beer on the left, and finish one keg before starting another!

Back