New vs reconditioned kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apache

Reaction score
Is the price difference worth it? I'm looking at a $155 keg + regulator kit from homebrewstuff on Amazon vs a $220 keg + regulator kit new from Northern Brewer. I've got no experience with kegging aside from the tap a draft systems, so any help you can provide would be great.

Personally I don't think its worth the extra cost for a new keg. With new gaskets, the only difference between a new keg and a used one is how shiny it is. They spend their lives locked in a fridge, so I figure why drop the extra beans for a pretty one.

I guess my concern is that I'll get a really beat up keg since this is via web order, one that may have problems keeping a seal.

2 of my 10 kegs were purchased new. I got the new ones for about $75 apiece on eBay when I first started brewing. In my opinion the new kegs look better and the fit and finish is much better. The parts fit together better, seal better, etc. There's no messing around with them required at all to get them to seal.

With the used kegs I feel the various parts need to be mucked with before they seal properly. When I pull a gas line off a used keg, for example, the poppet will continue to release gas until I fiddle with it or give it a whack with a wrench. I often have to re-seat the lid a couple of times before the keg seals. The used kegs do work well but sometimes they require a little convincing before they behave properly.

I'd love to have all new kegs but for me the price difference between used vs. new isn't worth it. I don't mind fiddling with the older kegs to get them to work and I don't care if my kegs look like they've been in a car crash. However, if the price of used kegs goes up or I find a good deal on new kegs, I'd pop on the new kegs any day.

My third used keg from Northern Brewer is on it's way to my place as I type. I usually like to have everything brand new and am usually willing to pay extra for it but $40 for a used one compared to $120 for a new one that sits in a fridge was hard for me to pass up.

The first one was in great condition, just not super shiny (there are tutorials for making used kegs shiny). The second one had a dented handle but the rest looked fine. I replaced the seals on both which was pretty easy after soaking them in hot water. Both have held pressure great. I will now have three used kegs for the price of one new one, I'm pretty happy with that.

If you can afford it, I would go new. Just like an above poster said, you don't have to worry about things nearly as much.

I have all used kegs simply because I don't have the money for it - I have over 100 kegs, so buying new was not in the cards. I do have to be careful with certain kegs, and for some I have to add pressure to ensure a seal, check poppets, replace gaskets, etc. It is worth it for me to buy used and recondition the keg myself because I have so many.

If you only expect to have the one keg, or two, and can afford new kegs, you will keep yourself from having the same concerns as the rest of us who have used kegs. Just make sure you plan on holding on to those kegs, because if you decide to ever sell, you will then be selling used kegs, and won't get near what you paid for them originally.

Used kegs work fine, if poppets/seals aren't seating right, it's good to know how to fix those kinds of problems. New kegs are not immune to the same problems, though it's less likely.

The fact is, the price difference is huge, you can get 2 used (3-4 pin lock) kegs for the price of a brand new ball lock keg, it's stainless steel, it doesn't go bad with age, and the O-rings are dirt cheap to replace.

Nothing wrong with buying new kegs if you have the $$ to devote to it. Just don't buy cheap new Chinese junk that is crap stainless and will probably spring a leak if you ding it.

I bought 2, they were dirty from being built, no biggie (should be expected)... I used the first one it seemed o.k. the vent may have stayed open draining my full 5#..(Bummer) the next brew day I prepped the other newbie filled the keg went to seal the lid....the lid would not stay clamped shut (freaked out went to backup plan) lid clamps just needs to be bent past vertical...

Would I buy more of these...NO (I am sticking with the Italians):cool:

Back