My First CO2 Tank Is Low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroovePuppy

Reaction score
... and I'm getting foam. I thought my flow rate would drop but I didn't expect foam from LOW pressure!!!!!

Is your co2 tank in the fridge? If so it may not be low. Cold co2 doesn't expand nearly as fast and throws the gauges off.

Pretty sure it's low. It was well above the red until this week. It's done a dozen batches, one force carbonated, plus a lot of messing around tweaking my setup. The tank and gauges are in the keezer though.

I get the occasional foam issue and this last week it suddenly got worse on all taps. I made the switch from 5' to 10' lines and it barely made a difference. That's why I suspect low CO2. I was going to run the tank to empty but I guess I'll go get it filled.

The regulator should ensure a steady flow rate no matter the CO2 pressure in the tank (unless it's *really* low).

So it was the low CO2. I had all three regulators between 10-12psi. I had the tank refilled and when I connected it a couple of the gauges jumped to 18psi!

Since I was having trouble with foaming I checked the gauges many times but they obviously read erroneously low when the CO2 tank drops into the red for some reason. Seems counterintuitive but there you go.

Back