My Experience With The Coors Lite Home Draft (Video)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cannot wait to try this. I'm going to see if I can find one of these locally. Anyone in South Florida had any luck?

You really don't need a separate cap during bottle conditioning. The tap assembly seals it tight--even when no co2 is installed.

Just picked up a Coors home draft for around $19 after tax. It's going to take awhile to get though it but the extended weekend with a few friends might help.

I had hops sediment come out in the glass in mine and I force carbed. That is a good point. If you prime, you will have trub in there and the tube draws from the bottom. Maybe if you angle the keg so the back end is 10 degrees higher it would help.

Any new vids from the OP yet?

Also, maybe this was addressed but what about the sediment from the priming sugar?

Sorry I'm slacking getting the last video up. I had a party this weekend and tapped the home draft with a new CO2 cartridge. It worked wonderfully. My friends really enjoyed getting my beer on draft, and it was fun to serve it that way.

As far as the sediment is concerned...
If you remember, the beer I made was a Magic Hat #9 clone made with apricot puree. My filtration wasn't the greatest when it went into the bottling bucket, so there were chunks of apricot getting into the draft system. I was afraid the pickup tube would get blocked or something, but I was wrong. I would say that the first gallon or so poured out of the draft was clear as day, the last half gallon started showing bits of fruit and other sediment. Overall I was very happy with the results.

So what's the consensus between force carbing and priming?

I am considering purchasing one of these to put my first homebrew in.

Thanks to everyone for the primer. My brother works for Miller, so I'm going to hit him up for a few free ones.

Part 4 is finally up!

Part 4:

Any chance a mod can edit the original post and add this link to it as well (it won't let me edit it now)?

Last edited by a moderator:
I talked to my brother, who works for Miller and has been involved in the development of this system, and one thing he made specific mention of was that when you pour a draft you should always open the tap all the way. If you try to pour a beer with a tap that is half open you'll get a huge amount of foam. Just a little FYI for you. As an aside, it took Miller over 5 years to get this system perfected and in market. I don't know what took so long, but they went through many iterations before they were happy. Hopefully, those of us who don't keg will be able to benefit.

Was in the local Safeway this morning, and lo and behold, they were on sale. (For $22.99, normally $25.99.... gotta love living in @#$# Northern California...)

Now I just need to figure out what to do with a gallon and a half of carbonated rat's pee.

Has anyone, out of interest, checked to see if like the TAD, the unit fits on a 3-litre soda bottle?

Looks like it would fit perfectly into one of those disposable styrofoam coolers.... Might be able to cut out the side of the cooler so the neck could come through.:rockin:

...one thing he made specific mention of was that when you pour a draft you should always open the tap all the way. If you try to pour a beer with a tap that is half open you'll get a huge amount of foam.

This is very true. In the first video where I pour it out into a glass this is exactly what happened. There is a little resistance before you get the tap opened all the way which made me feel like I was going to break it if I pulled it any further. It is almost like an extra little click that you need to feel to know it is fully opened up.

Very nice!! Thanks for sharing the video. I bought one of these last month. I have a batch right now that's carbing up. It'll be a few more days before I can inject the co2. Can't wait to see how well this works.

I Know! theres a coor lite and a miller lite version of these, why couldn't Samual Adams or Sierra Nevada or similiar come out with something like this???

Was in the local Safeway this morning, and lo and behold, they were on sale. (For $22.99, normally $25.99.... gotta love living in @#$# Northern California...)

Now I just need to figure out what to do with a gallon and a half of carbonated rat's pee.

Has anyone, out of interest, checked to see if like the TAD, the unit fits on a 3-litre soda bottle?

Talked to my local beer store guy here in the Nashville area. He said we have them here but he can't keep them in stock. And he said Miller/Coors won't promise their distributors replenished stock because they're having production issues. BUT...he said they've already reused some of the kegs and, in fact, they just ordered the food grade mini CO2 cartridges! So, he can offer those to homebrewers and can also use the 1 gallon kegs for draft fills in addition to his growlers.

If you prime with sugar, couldn't you use the homedraft system without a co2 cartridge, at least for a few beers, or would there not be enough pressure to dispense the beer? I have a red ale carbing up in a homedraft system right now. I have a pack of carts coming from Midwest, but I think I'm gonna try without a cart first. If nobody replies before I tap mine, I'll try to remember to post the results. It just seems like if there's a need to relieve pressure before installing a cartridge then there should be enough pressure to dispense as well.

My aunt had one of these at her house tonight when we were watching the LSU vs. Mississippi game (Geaux Tigers!) and she said she would give it to me once it was empty. I took one for the team and did my best to empty it even faster, but I had to switch to the Shiner she happened to have because it was to nasty to drink. I am definitely spoiled when it comes to my beer now.

I can't believe I could ever drink Coors lite and call it beer.

If you prime with sugar, couldn't you use the homedraft system without a co2 cartridge, at least for a few beers, or would there not be enough pressure to dispense the beer? I have a red ale carbing up in a homedraft system right now. I have a pack of carts coming from Midwest, but I think I'm gonna try without a cart first. If nobody replies before I tap mine, I'll try to remember to post the results. It just seems like if there's a need to relieve pressure before installing a cartridge then there should be enough pressure to dispense as well.

If you aren't using Co2 cartridges, then any time that you dispense a beer the extra headspace will have to be filled with air. That will either lead to flat or stale beer after a while.

If you aren't using Co2 cartridges, then any time that you dispense a beer the extra headspace will have to be filled with air. That will either lead to flat or stale beer after a while.

Ah, that makes sense. I guess I'll pony up the $1.30 and use a cartridge for the sake of good beer. :mug:

I am thinking of getting some of these. I could get a tap-a-draft for 90 bucks after shipping or I could buy three of these things for the same price. Guess these would be nice due to having a dispenser for each bottle over the single dispenser with the regular tap a draft system.

Only problem would be chugging down all that yucky beer.

I am thinking of getting some of these. I could get a tap-a-draft for 90 bucks after shipping or I could buy three of these things for the same price. Guess these would be nice due to having a dispenser for each bottle over the single dispenser with the regular tap a draft system.

Only problem would be chugging down all that yucky beer.

On tap and very cold, Coors Light is drinkable. I bought one Tuesday, and drinking 2 or 3 glasses a night, plus my buddy coming over and helping me on Friday evening, I had one empty in four days. I was using a 20 oz. Sam Adams glass to dispose of the Coors. Every story has a happy ending, though, because by yesterday the Home Draft bottle was full of delicious homebrew. Now the wait begins...

For petes sake BMC isn't that bad, its still beer! You can drink that much cheap beer in a weekend, its light beer!

This whole process sounds awesome I can't wait to try it.

Alright, just picked up a Coors Home Draft Keg and am searching out the 16g CO2 cartridges. I just put 5 gallons of Multigrain Red Ale from a NB kit into the fermentor, so I'll be priming and bottling that in about a month! Looking forward to the results...

I bottled 1.5gallons of my Pumpkin ale in an empty coors home draft bottle.

The Coors light wasn't that bad to get through, I solicited a little help from my friends, and it only took a few days. It was very easy to sanitize, and refill. My pumpkin ale is now happily carbonating. I'll probably tap it on thanksgiving.

Alright, I have a small batch of Apfelwein that I am going to put in one of these. How full should I fill it? I plan on priming just like I would for beer, how much volume should I calculate? I believe it's 1.5 gallons, is that exact enough?

Alright, I have a small batch of Apfelwein that I am going to put in one of these. How full should I fill it? I plan on priming just like I would for beer, how much volume should I calculate? I believe it's 1.5 gallons, is that exact enough?

I filled mine most of the way up, as for priming, 1oz dextrose should do the job nicely.

There's no vent of any sort to let air in. CO2 will fill the head space, coming out of solution from the beer. You'll be able to serve a few pints from it, but the beer will eventually go flat as the pressure inside of it gets less and less. At least it won't oxidize, though.

There's no vent of any sort to let air in. CO2 will fill the head space, coming out of solution from the beer. You'll be able to serve a few pints from it, but the beer will eventually go flat as the pressure inside of it gets less and less. At least it won't oxidize, though.

So instead of opening the cap to relieve pressure before installing a cart, couldn't you just draw a few pints then put a cart in?

Anyone tried posting on Craigslist to get some empties? I have gotten free bottles that way, just wonder if this is popular enough to have a chance at getting some freebies.

I am going to make a post on there and see if I get lucky.

So instead of opening the cap to relieve pressure before installing a cart, couldn't you just draw a few pints then put a cart in?

From completely full, 1-2 pints will get you to where you need to be. Instead of pulling the pints, I like to just pour them when I switch from the storage cap to the cap with a tap. They key thing to remember is that you need the air in the headspace and the cartridge to be cold before you twist it in or else you risk venting off some of the CO2.

Here's an idea:

If you already have a beer that's kegged in a corny keg (or any keg for that matter), you could use a counter pressure bottle filler to fill up a Home Draft system. All you would have to do is buy a different stopper that fits the Home Draft System.

This would allow you to bypass having to naturally carbonate the bottle, or wasting a bunch of CO2 cartridges trying to force carbonate. Also, if you already have the kegged beer chilled, you don't have to wait for the beer to cool down before you twist in one of the cartridges.

I understand that you need a corny keg to begin with, but I think it would work great for anyone who's wanting to bring their homebrew to a party and give everyone the "draft" experience while avoiding having to lug around a 5-gallon keg and CO2 tank.

Here's an idea:

If you already have a beer that's kegged in a corny keg (or any keg for that matter), you could use a counter pressure bottle filler to fill up a Home Draft system. All you would have to do is buy a different stopper that fits the Home Draft System.

This would allow you to bypass having to naturally carbonate the bottle, or wasting a bunch of CO2 cartridges trying to force carbonate. Also, if you already have the kegged beer chilled, you don't have to wait for the beer to cool down before you twist in one of the cartridges.

I understand that you need a corny keg to begin with, but I think it would work great for anyone who's wanting to bring their homebrew to a party and give everyone the "draft" experience while avoiding having to lug around a 5-gallon keg and CO2 tank.

I'm Sold! My deal to get a 10 gallon cooler to make my corny keg "portable" fell through, this is a really great alternative.

I still don't understand why you need to naturally carb the thing. Can the CO2 cartridges not force-carb it enough?

Also, my understanding is that people use less priming sugar for their tap-a-draft systems. Would the same apply here?

Back