Liquid Dip Tube Replacement?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yesfan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm in the middle of cleaning/reconditioning some of my kegs I bought recently. Just got into the second of six kegs and I'm having problems getting the liquid dip tube out. It doesn't have the single bend in it like my others, but is twisted pretty bad with a good bent portion near the top, just under the post. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement liquid dip tube in case I jack this one up trying to remove it? It is a ball lock and the rubber handles are blue instead of the usual black I've seen if that helps.

Also, if you've had issues trying to get the poppet valves out, what did you do? I gave up and just let the whole piece soak in some Oxy, but I'm afraid that might not be good enough. The last six I got, I had no issues. Maybe that's the gamble you take with buying used?

Thanks for any help and advice. :mug:

EDIT: Never mind on the diptube. I see Adventures carries them. What about the poppets?

Cheapest ones I've seen:

dip tube

Some poppits on newer posts aren't readily removable without bending the legs - I have one keg like that. I just soak like you said and then depress it with a small phillips head while rinsing to be sure there's no gunk in there.

I got mine from AIH because they had the size and bend I needed. Not all tubes are the same. I did have to cut 1" off of mine still to get it to fit. It was easy.

Keg connection has some but just know the tubes aren't all the same so be sure to specify and ask them before buying. I had to replace one someone cut too short. He did it to bulk age in the keg but I found he cut it off a good 8" from the bottom which meant I lost a lot of beer when the keg supposedly kicked.

One question about the differing types of dip tubes......are the "ears" just flat places near the top of the tube? To be honest I don't see the differences between the curved tube with and without the ears. If it's a flattened area, then I know which one to get as none of mine felt flat when I was cleaning them.

My cousin is going to order some stuff this week, so I'll probably put in an order with him to save on shipping.

Morebeer/NB and ChiCompany both carry some styles of poppets...

Cheers!

I bought some universal poppets from either More Beer or Brewmasters some time back, can't remember to be honest. I never could get the old poppets out, so after letting them soak in Oxy for about 2-3 hours I just said screw it.

Fwiw, poppets on classic keg posts are always removable - these kegs were designed to be maintainable - some just require a bit of surgical encouragement. They are not welded in, but some styles put the poppet legs on a ledge. A wee bit of prying will set them free...

Cheers!

Back