The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Knotty Pine and Cedar Log Keezer Build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2011, 01:36 PM   #101
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Thanks Jota21,

That's what I'm leaning towards as well. Now I just need to find a great deal on a digital temperature controller. I found one on ebay from a company in CA and it's called the ColdFusion X Temperature controller. It's supposed to do everything that a TS Love Controller can do, but it's 1/2 the price. They also have a model that is "supposed to" control up to 2 different environments with one controller. It has tons of terminals on it, but I only see one section labled for a temperature thermocouples. There are similar terminals that are not marked, but I would assume that if it's a dual channel contoller it would need to accept two temperature thermocouples. I'm calling the company today to see if it will work to control both independently. If it's at all questionable....I may just bite the bullet and go with a Dwyer Love controller. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jota21 View Post
I think your tower will stay cold enough with that insulation and two fans. I would say to stick with a standard controller and let the fans kick on with the compressor. If the fans die, then you can look into something different, but those things are designed to be a permanent part of an HVAC system. I dont think they should die anytime soon.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2011, 10:22 AM   #102
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Default Update

OK...I did manage to place my order with kegconnection.com yesterday afternoon, but the process was not nearly as smooth as most of you guys experienced. They were exceptionally helpful with coming up with a customized system for me the day prior. However, actually initiating the order was an all day affair. I left a couple of messages in the morning for the sales guy and then when I finally got ahold of him in the late morning after several attempts, he wasn't in the office by his computer, so he couldn't place the order. He asked that I call back later after his lunch to place the order. I called several times and then left a message.

I really wanted to get the order in process, so late in the day I called kegconnections directly and spoke with the shipping manager. I asked him if anyone else could initiate the order, since I was already emailed an invoice the day prior and I just wanted to pay for the items. He said that he could not run the transaction, but would be happy to start getting the components around for my system right away. He said that if I could finalize the order, there was a chance that he could get it shipped immediately. I was very pleased with his customer service and he said that either he or the owner would contact the sales guy, so that we could finalize the sale. I finally received a the call right at the end of the day and we reviewed the order and I gave him my CC and address. He said that his computer was still booting, but he would send me an updated invoice for review and a receipt to verify the order within 5-10 minutes. It's 6:00 a.m. the next morning and still no email!

Needless to say, I don't think that my order shipped yesterday and at this point I'm not even sure that the order was placed. Hopefully I receive some sort of correspondence today. I still have faith and if everything in the order comes without a hitch, I won't hold it against them.

Addendum: It's now 5:25 p.m. and still no email for order confirmation? I'm hoping that they have processed the order, but still not sure.

Addendum: Never got an email or verification of the order processing. I called today (2 days after placing the order) and spoke with the warehouse manager Josh. He found in their computer that I had an account opened, but could not find an updated invoice and said that my order was never processed and my CC was not charged. He re-did the entire order, but what a PITA!!! Not sure why they dropped the ball so bad with me, but I should be all set now....at least I hope.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:18 PM   #103
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I only had a little time to do the finish sanding and clean the keezer up today, because I spent 3 hours cleaning up the mess I made in my basement building the damn thing. I am happy to say that my basement is clean and the keezer is ready for clear coating! I have decided to do the finish before cement board and tiling. Hope to have this beast wrapped up next week, because the kegging components are due for arrival late next week.

I finally made a decision on my temperature controller. I decided to go with the Dwyer Love Controller Model TSX-10240, which is one of the few models to have a dual input for 2 temperature probes and dual output to control two seperate devices. I ordered it directly from www.love-controls.com. Price was $70.25 and it comes with one thermocouple (5') and I ordered another thermocouple (10') for $8.00 + $8.00 shipping. Not a bad deal at all since the TS model is $75. I will have the 10' thermocouple going into the freezer (I wanted to go in through the coffin and down the beer line port into the feezer, hence the longer lead) and channel 1 controlling the plug for the feezer compressor. I will have the 5' thermocouple going into the coffin and situated right at the shanks and channel 2 will control the plug for the coffin fans. I should have the controller this weekend.

Here are a few pics from today.

img_2070.jpg   img_2072.jpg   img_2073.jpg   img_2074.jpg  

Old 03-04-2011, 02:50 PM   #104
Butcher
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

It will probably be a long time before I ever build me a keezer. We are done with car payments and credit card payments and would like to be responsible for a long time! But you have really given me some ideas. I was thinking something like a bar top, about a 9-10" of space and then the board on top of the freezer lid, with the space used for glasses and stuff. I kind of like the way you have done it. Im not a big drinker so I wouldn't be sitting at this thing as if it were a bar anyways. I think basing it off something like you did allows for it to have much more of a decorative purpose which would be important for my wife if it would sit in the dining room.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:13 PM   #105
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
Im not a big drinker so I wouldn't be sitting at this thing as if it were a bar anyways.

LOL that's what my buddy said when he built his bar in PA. After it was built his wife told me he sat at that bar more than the lazyboy!

"build it and you will sit." (in a field of dreams whisper)

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 03-04-2011, 03:20 PM   #106
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Glad my build could give you some ideas. Your plan sounds really cool with the incorporation of a bar top. Your a smart man thinking ahead about how your wife feels about the project. This "hobby" can be quite expensive if you let it get that way, especially when you get into coffin/keezer builds, fermentation chambers, all grain brewing rigs, etc., etc. Kudos on your elimination of debt, sounds like you guys have found Dave Ramsey, or the like. Your doing it the smart way by taking your time and being responsible financially. It would be silly to rack up a bunch of debt, simply to be able to dispense beer at home. My wife and I have no debt except our mortgage, so it really does increase the amount of freedom and extra spending cash for our hobbies. Your on the right track....good luck with your build if and when you start it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
It will probably be a long time before I ever build me a keezer. We are done with car payments and credit card payments and would like to be responsible for a long time! But you have really given me some ideas. I was thinking something like a bar top, about a 9-10" of space and then the board on top of the freezer lid, with the space used for glasses and stuff. I kind of like the way you have done it. Im not a big drinker so I wouldn't be sitting at this thing as if it were a bar anyways. I think basing it off something like you did allows for it to have much more of a decorative purpose which would be important for my wife if it would sit in the dining room.

Hoppo's Rustic Basement Bar Build:

Hoppo's Knotty Pine/Cedar Log Keezer Build:

Hoppo's Rustic Dual Fermentation Chamber Builds:

Hoppo's Motorized Grain Mill:

Hoppo's Rustic E-Brewery Build:

Old 03-04-2011, 03:41 PM   #107
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thats some funny sh*t Starrfish. I can see myself spending plenty of time at the taps of this thing. My wife and kids may never see me again once the bar AND keezer are done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrfish View Post
LOL that's what my buddy said when he built his bar in PA. After it was built his wife told me he sat at that bar more than the lazyboy!

"build it and you will sit." (in a field of dreams whisper)

Old 03-08-2011, 10:57 AM   #108
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Default Temp. Controller Arrived

When I got home from work last night my LOVE temperature controller and extra temperature probe had arrived from Dwyer! I went with the TSX-10240, because it is the only refrigeration controller that accepts two temperature probe inputs and has dual power outputs to control two seperate cooling devices. I'll be using one probe in the coffin to control the temp. via the Inductor fans and of course, one in the freezer to control the compressor. Now I just need to figure out how to wire this thing.

I would like to cut a rough opening in the knotty pine siding in the lower cabinet portion of the keezer and mount it on the front for easy access. Does anyone know if his has to be housed inside of a handy box of some sort? I guess I'm wondering if the back side can be open to air or does the back side have to be protected by a receptacle box like a standard plug or switch. Any feed back would be great.

PS....my kegging equipment order was finally processed and will be arriving on Thursday from kegconnection.com.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:35 PM   #109
GusWatab
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

UNBELIEVABLE!!! This thing look sick Hoppo...

I have learned quite a bit regarding the coffin and temp controllers. I have been trying to think of a way to cool my lines from my beer fridge in the storage room up to the taps at the bar. I just posted my set-up under "Show us your kegerator" yesterday. Take a look and let me know what you think...I think if I knocked out a square in the drywall and built some sort of a box/coffin around the shanks, and then used some flexible tubing or something to circulate air just like you have in your coffin, that could work great. It's a real bummer when you have to dump out a mug of foam just to get your lines cool enough for a good pour...I am really thinking about this now.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. And once again BEAUTIFUL JOB ON THE KEEZER!!!

Bottled - Quad Hop IPA, Fresh Hop Belgian White
On Deck - A Stout?
On the Turntable - George Harrison "Apple Jam"

Old 03-08-2011, 04:49 PM   #110
Jaysus
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 79

that is totally super awesome!