Kegging a Sweet Tea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-Happy

Reaction score
For all the kegged folks out there, have you ever force carbonated a batch of sweet tea? Not a hard iced tea, but a non-alcohol brewed tea.

I am not equipped for kegging or anything, just curious how it would turn out.

I thought it my added some crispness and refreshment during the summer heat and have a non-alc alternative at parties.

Criticisms or comments?

I'm just imagining having 5 gallons of sweet tea on tap. :rockin: The wife and I kill a gallon pitcher of it in a day without even trying. :D Sounds interesting!

I remember reading the other day that someone had sparkling water on tap, and ya know, I hadn't really thought of that. I don't see why this wouldn't work too.

Every year at Stone's Anniversary Bash, the Barley Engineers provide fresh non-alcoholic sodas and teas (It's usually in the 90's out there).
The Teas we have offered have been some of the most popular options. We've has some of our members get very creative with the flavors and they are very refreshing.
We do everything out of cornies and a jockey box and are usually rotating between keeping the cups filling and getting the next one force carbed.

I have been meaning to try kegging up a batch of my home made margaritas... I always serve them on the rocks anyway. It is amazing what people want to put into kegs once them have them.

I'm just imagining having 5 gallons of sweet tea on tap. :rockin: The wife and I kill a gallon pitcher of it in a day without even trying. :D Sounds interesting!

I hear you. I have to be careful how much and how late in the evening I have tea. My sleep schedule gets thrown out the window with the smallest amount of caffeine. :D

Interesting idea, leave it to someone from Ga. to want to carbonate sweet tea.:mug: It would probably taste pretty good.

It would certainly be possible and relatively easy.

And if the same sanitation methods were used as are used for beer, coupled with the CO2 the tea would probably last quite a while without spoiling.

If it's something you are really interested in trying you might consider getting a "Carbonator" cap. They screw onto a standard soda bottles of 1,2 or 3 liter(s). You'd still need a CO2 bottle, regulator, hose and corny ball lock gas connector to carbonate it.

If your are considering going to kegs watch www.homebrewing.org I think they are in N.Carolina they've had single handled keg for as little as $15 (that's a special not the everyday price) but that's close to what you'd pay for that plastic "Carbonator" cap.

You need something to keep you cool down there.

Has the cool weather made it down to Tifton this week? It was in the low 50's at my house south of Atlanta this morning and the high is only expected to reach the low to mid 80's today. If this is gobal warming I want some more.

Interesting idea, leave it to someone from Ga. to think about carbonating sweet tea.:mug: It would probably taste pretty good.

It would certainly be possible and realitvely easy.

And if the same sanitation methods were used as are used for beer, coupled with the CO2 the tea would probably last quite a while without spoiling.

If it's something you are really interested in trying you might consider getting a "Carbonator" cap. They screw onto a standard soda bottles of 1,2 or 3
liter(s). You'd still need a CO2 bottle, regulator, hose and corny ball lock gas connector to carbonate it.

If your are considering going to kegs watch www.homebrewing.org I think they are in N.Carolina they've had single handled keg for as little as $15 (that's a special not the everyday price) but that's close to what you'd pay for that plastic "Carbonator" cap.

You need something to keep you cool down there.

Has the cool weather made it down to Tifton this week? It was in the low
50's at my house south of Atlanta this morning and the high is only expected to reach the low to mid 80's today. If this is gobal warming I want some more.

LOL. Oh it was in the lower 60's this morning. I am not sure that I would call this a cool front. More of an "indoor A/C'ed" front.

Thanks for the info on the carbonator caps. I might consider it. I am on tight grad school budget and just researching all I can on homebrew before I buy any equipment.

Hmm, I do about a pitcher of sweet tea a day on my own. I wonder what it would taste like carbonated....it'd be really nice if you could push it with no carbonation.

There must be a way to push it uncarbed. They have it on Coke and Pepsi machines in some chain resturants.

Those machines mix CO2, water, and syrup at the fountain.
The fact that they moved away from force carbonating soda in tanks is the reason that we have enjoyed cheap cornies for all these years.

Those machines mix CO2, water, and syrup at the fountain.
The fact that they moved away from force carbonating soda in tanks is the reason that we have enjoyed cheap cornies for all these years.

The reason for the cheap cornies is the bag and box system
Pepsi and Coke HAD a recyclable (SS can) container and they did the "right thing" and switched to a plastic bag and cardboard :confused:

The reason for the cheap cornies is the bag and box system
Pepsi and Coke HAD a recyclable (SS can) container and they did the "right thing" and switched to a plastic bag and cardboard :confused:

You know, plastic and cardboard are also recycleable...

I'm not sure about the tea idea. I mean, it's a great idea, but tea will go bad pretty quick, even chilled. I would think you'd want to finish the keg within a few days. I don't mean bad like make you sick, but just stale and or bad tasting.

anyone making sweet tea with something other than sugar? I just cannot bring myself to drink that much sugar. :( More calories than beer!

Back