to keg.... or not to keg...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1)It's just as easy to rack sanitizer without pressure and you dont waste the gas. Not sure what the benefit is of doing it under pressure...transfers faster? Maybe I'm misunderstanding...

I mean I have a gallon of sanitizer in one cornie, and push it out the beer out post by gas pressure. The benefits, to my mind, are:

* the dip tube and out post is hit with sanitizer again on the way out; and
* one is left with a sealed, sanitized cornie

I use air from my air compressor to do things like pressure check or seal empty kegs and move non-beer liquids around.

I guess my intention was to make a bookend to Revvy's blog post that reminded us that AG is not a magic bullet and not a the optimum solution for everyone. Likewise, I do not think that kegging is a foregone conclusion, the next predetermined stop on the brewtrain to nirvana.

A cynic might wonder aloud if what's really happening is that folks get a half-grand into a kegging setup and then really need to convince themselves it was the most positive choice in their brewing lives. Luckily, I am not a cynic.

I built a kegerator and it's nice, but it wasn't the big WOW that I thought it was going to be. Honestly, getting a system of bottling down helps a lot and the biggest chore is taking off labels (if you choose to do that).

But, kegging is faster and easier, and if you host parties, your guests will envy you!

For me kegging is the only way to go. Bottling is such a b!tch system or no system, its easy to get an infection or too much oxygen and all those bottles need to be cleaned and stored. It took the fun out of brewing (well not totally) but kegging, come on now I start the siphon and walk away come back in 5min seal it up hit it with gas and done, the next day I'm drinking. People get really crazy with kegging and spend tons of money thats cool if you got it. I have a two tap kegerator I had to buy the fridge that brought the price up to about $500 for the whole set up, if you can find a fridge then its a no-brainer, do it. Long story short the $500 bucks the system cost me has paid me back in time frustration, cleaner, sanitizer, and water. I'll never go back

Number 1 tip to prevent leaking lines. Use Yellow Gas tape NOT white teflon.
Do tell!!
emoticon_shocked.gif
What is this yellow gas tape you speak of? (Okay, I'm guessing it is yellow and it is tape but...) What's the big diff.?

And, isn't it true that if you are using flared fittings (which I am from my secondary regulators and my QDs), then there should be no need to use anything on the threads? That the actual seal is between the flare and the bell end of the fitting?

Do tell!!
emoticon_shocked.gif
What is this yellow gas tape you speak of? (Okay, I'm guessing it is yellow and it is tape but...) What's the big diff.?

And, isn't it true that if you are using flared fittings (which I am from my secondary regulators and my QDs), then there should be no need to use anything on the threads? That the actual seal is between the flare and the bell end of the fitting?

Yes. Any flared or compression fitting should not have tape. NPT does. Gas tape is a rated tape for natural gas, water and steam. You need less, and it works a million times better than white teflon. Available at homedepot etc.

Ideally suited for all threaded connections involving gas line installations for natural gas, propane, butane, and/or water, oil, and chemicals. Withstands up to 10,000 P.S.I. and temperatures of -450 F. to +550 F. Full 1.6 density. .0035 thickness plus .0005". Meets MIL T-27730A specification. 1 spool per header card bag.

I did 3 extract batches then went to all grain. I bottled 4 batches then went to keg. I guess i'm a fast mover but man is it worth it. you must monitor Craigslist like some wall street big shots watch their stock prices. Be prepaired to jump at an offer an you could end up like me. I bought my 12 tap brass tower for $150. There was a stainless 10 tap for $100 that i regret not getting just for the resale value. oh well. CRAIGSLIST

I think Fratermus' has some good points that do bookend Revvy and, in my opinion, should be stickied in a pros and cons. I agree that kegging might be best considered as an alternative to bottling and not a solution. If you are having problems bottling, solutions should be sought (Revvy has a great thread that has been well contributed to). If you have problems bottling and switch to kegging, you will likely be equally frustrated when you have problems kegging. Both have quirks and technical issues.

But what do I know? I just shelled out to for a 4 tap system! :rockin:

The decision for me was based around several factors: I LOVE draft beer... I like that mouth feel, I like to tinker and it has hoses and gauges and tanks, I drink mostly at home, and BierMunchers Bottle filler. So for me, I was ready. Cash and space kept me out for a long time... I have been brewing for 7 years now and life has changed alot in that time!

thanks for all the info guys.

i will be saving my hard earned pennies for my new investment.

Cheers!

Back