keg homebrew in competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustinp

Reaction score
I am entering a couple of my homebrews in a local competition. This is my first time entering a homebrew competition. I bottled up some of my homebrew from my keg and got to wondering about temperature changes effecting the brew. It has been aging in the keg for a few weeks at 40 degrees. After I bottled it today, I put it back into the fridge at 40 degrees. I will be turning my beer in on the 3rd and the competition is on the 12th. Will the change in temperature from fridge to room temperature effect the overall taste/carbonation of my brew?

I keg all my beers and keep them at 40deg as well. I bottle from my kegs all the time with no problems.

Yes, but when I turn the brews into the competition, they will be stored at room temperature, correct? That is when I am worried; going from 40 to room temp.

There should be a homebrewing competition where you submit a corny keg! The judges would use co2 to dispense it and it can be trialed in several rounds and have samples for the spectators. Much better than current BJCP protocol. At the end of the competition they could serve it all at a certain pub until it's all gone, or just return whats left to whoever submitted it. Probably neither would fly with the post-prohibitionary alcohol control we have today, but it would be a much better way for a community of brewers to compete.

Latest posts

Back