New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Keg Force Carbing Methods Illustrated

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2008, 05:36 PM   #1
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default Keg Force Carbing Methods Illustrated

If you rely on a bottle of CO2 gas for carbing your kegged beer, there are basically two ways to go about it; set and forget and what I'll call "burst carbing". Some folks talk about this second method as "force carbing" but it's all done with force so forget it. For example sake, let's assume you want to carb your 45ºF beer to 2 volumes of CO2....

Set and forget relies on certain gas laws that will determine the carbonation level based on pressure and temperature. The volumes of carbonation will eventually reach an equilibrium to the head space pressure that is applied (what the regulator is set to). You'd use the charts like this one http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php to figure out what that pressure needs to be. In our example, the chart shows it would take 9 psi to reach 2 volumes in your 45ºF beer.

The second method, burst carbonation, uses a much higher initial pressure and even some gas diffusion techniques like shaking or airstones to encourage a quicker solution of the gas. In our example, you might put 30psi on initially. If you refer back to the chart, you'll see this pressure, if left long enough will equilibrate to 3.79 volumes given enough time. The trick/difficulty in this method is knowing how long to leave it at the elevated pressure to get close to your desired volumes without overcarbing.

Some people understand pictures better than words so I drew this.

The green line is the set and forget method. You can see that it will take about 2 weeks to reach your desired volumes. Some folks will argue that they have carbonation in 1 week but "some" carbonation is not exactly equilibrated carb level though you might enjoy it anyway. I'm not 100% sure how long it takes but I have noted an increased carb level between week 1 and 2 on more than a few batches so I'm calling it 2 weeks to get it pretty close. You'll notice a small increase from week 2 to 3 but it's slight.

The blue line is just an example of a well executed boost carb. You'd leave it at approximately 3 times the equilibrium pressure for 24 hours, then drop it down and purge the keg so the headspace is now at the "chart pressure". If you do it right, you'll get close and then it will only take a couple more days to reach your desired volumes.

Highlighted for emphasis: More often than not, people in a hurry will try boosting even more by going with higher pressures and/or shaking the heck out of the keg. This usually results in what the red line is showing. You overshoot the carb level and then fight with the keg for several days to get it back down by purging the pressure a few times.

The final point I want to make is that the only reason I'd advocate a boost carb is when your beer has already aged/conditioned prior to making it to your kegerator and you need the beer to be drinkable in less than two weeks (poor planning on your part of course). I noted on the chart that if you went from primary right to keg at week zero, no matter how fast you carb, it will still take at least 3 weeks to taste decent. Therefore, why boost carb at all?

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Last edited by Bobby_M; 03-09-2010 at 10:40 PM.
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2008, 05:43 PM   #2
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 11 Posts

nice layout. this should help everyone that has questions regarding carbonation.

primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:48 PM   #3
Jester369

Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Very nice, Bobby

Old 07-22-2008, 05:54 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester369 View Post
Very nice, Bobby
Thanks Erik... I've been meaning to post something like this for a while in answer to a lot of questions about carbing.
Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!
J-stone Likes This 
Old 07-22-2008, 05:58 PM   #5
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 340 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Good info and nice presentation, although I think I'd fall into the camp of "carbonation is pretty much there" by the end of week 1. I would think the green line would have more of an upward curvature between T=1 and T=1week. I have a hard time believing that the amount of carbonation increases at a linear rate for those two weeks, rather than having a shape more like the blue line (what's the term I'm looking for - logrhythmic?) albeit with less curvature.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.
People Like This 
Old 07-22-2008, 05:59 PM   #6
findthefish
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah it seems like there's been a lot of these types of questions lately. Now hopefully people actually see this before posting.

Kevin

The Bruery Provisions - Homebrewing supplies and equipment.
BrewCommune - Orange County home brew club, yeast database, recipes, and forum.

On Deck: Belgian IPA
Primary: nothing
Secondary: Traditional Mead
Kegged: APA, Cream Ale, Belgian Ale, Sour Belgian, Barrel Aged RIS

J-stone Likes This 
Old 07-22-2008, 06:11 PM   #7
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The problem is that lots of people just don't want to take the time to read up before asking. For Example: How many threads are there on weather or not you need to carbonate Apfelwein? Like 30?

J-stone Likes This 
Old 07-22-2008, 06:14 PM   #8
Displaced MassHole
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Thanks Bobby, very informative, I've always just blasted my kegs with 20#s for a couple days and hoped for the best. Now I should be a little more consistent now. Cheers!

People Like This 
Old 07-22-2008, 06:57 PM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

I should probably disclaim a bit. The drawing is not based on any hard data and I agree that the rate of carbonation for any of the methods could be different. It was meant to illustrate some very high level points. The green line probably should have been a bit more steep, probably closer to 1 volume at 4 days or so.

I know for sure that in my experience there's a very noticeable difference in carb level between week 1 and 2 though I admit that I can't guess a carb level with any accuracy just by looking and tasting. I believe it's easy to mistake carb levels by how much head forms during the pour (which is obviously not directly tied). What I think happens at the one week mark is you'll pull a pint, taste it, and decide that it's carbed to your liking. You'll ignore the fact that the pressure you set it to has the beer destined for 2.5 volumes and it currently stands at 1.9 volumes. Maybe you prefer 1.9 volumes on this beer. Over the next week, you have a pint here and there and noticing incremental increases of .2 volumes isn't going to happen. My 2 cents anyway.

People Like This 
Old 07-22-2008, 07:22 PM   #10
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
The final point I want to make is that the only reason I'd advocate a boost carb is when your beer has already aged/conditioned prior to making it to your kegerator and you need the beer to be drinkable in less than two weeks (poor planning on your part of course). I noted on the chart that if you went from primary right to keg at week zero, no matter how fast you carb, it will still take at least 3 weeks to taste decent. Therefore, why boost carb at all?
Can you clarify a little on this point? Currently my procedure is to keg my beer after a 3-week primary. I seal the lid, then I consult Beersmith to see what PSI I should apply to carbonate at room temp, usually 65-70F. I set my reg to that pressure, apply the CO2 for about 15 seconds (until I can't hear the regulator groaning any more), remove the QD, and put into storage.

Am I essentially just sealing the lid, and not accomplishing carb? The last one I tapped after doing it this way was pretty nearly flat, and had to carb-over-time in the kegerator. After about 3 days it was acceptable, and very nicely carbed after a week.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher
People Like This 

Quick Reply