Keezer plans slowly coming to fruition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoneman

Reaction score
Slowly but surely my Keezer plans are coming together.
Yesterday my brother and I made a trip out to Simgo's in Surrey, BC. I would recommend them to all Canadian's looking to put together a kegerator. Their webpage isn't the best, (no prices) but after calling I found that there prices had been as good or better than any where else. I bought what I would need for a 2 tap setup with room for expansion.
Then Today I found a 30 cubic foot monster freezer in excellent shape for $100.

Pics to come :mug:

Thanks everybody here for all of your help.

Wow.... that thing is going to hold close to 40 kegs..... does that even make sense?

I had to Google to verify they even exist. Closest I got was 21.5 Cubic Foot for $2k.

Close enough.

For $100 I'd be looking at ways to compartmentalize that coffin and make it multi-task as best it could.

I had to Google to verify they even exist. Closest I got was 21.5 Cubic Foot for $2k.

Close enough.

For $100 I'd be looking at ways to compartmentalize that coffin and make it multi-task as best it could.

Frigidaire makes a 25 cu ft for $850 retail - readily available at $749 - that not withstanding - the thing's freakin' huge - 6 foot wide

+ on the multi-task - or get ready to drink :mug:

In all honesty, I couldn't believe this deal.
I went to the MCC (Mennonite Central Committe - Similar to the Salvation Army Thrift Store) with my wife and thought I would see if they had a cheap freezer. I was looking at a smaller one, that wasn't in the best shape and asked how much, and was told it was $60.00 I was about to buy that freezer, when I asked about the bigger one. It was in immaculate shape and 7 feet by 2.5 feet. When he told me $100 I just about crapped. I ran to the register and paid for it before they could change their mind. (After running it by my beautiful wife of course).
Well I had originally planned to do a conversion with a tower on an end mounted box ala NoneRequired's Keezer. But that would have made this monster enormous. So now my plan is to do a collar and replace the lid with an insulated bar top. Permanently closed on the one end with a tower (1/3 length), and hinged for access for the remainder (2/3 length).

Before you guys tell me to skip the tower and just mount the shanks throught the collar, I bought elbow shanks at Simgo's yesterday before I found the freezer.

Pictures to follow.

I thought my 20cf was a monster.... congrats! at 62"x27.5" I can hold 13 kegs and a 20lb co2 tank with nothin on the hump. I can imagine with another 12" you could fit at least 2-3 more.

I finally got a temperature control for the freezer. I probably should have just ordered a Love Unit online, but I'm impatient and just went to a friends company and found a temperature control there. I got it wired up tonight, tomorrow I'll check on the temp, and see how well it works.

Now I just need to collar it, make a top, make a tower, mount the tower and start pouring.

Pics to come.

Edit...
It works!!!! the freezer seems to be holding a non freezing temperature. :)

Starting the Collar/Lid
I want to setup my keezer with a double lid, one side that opens for access to the kegs, and a side that doesn't, so my towers don't smack on the wall. I initially planned to build it like nonerequired's but the size of this freezer would have made that ridiculous.

I know you guys have been wanting pictures, so here is the start.

The first picture shows the chest freezer
th_freezer1.jpg

This picture shows the small collar end, it is 24" wide by 27" deep. I plan on putting an insulated plywood sheet over top. Have it cleaned up with trim and tile, and eventually have 3 - 3 tap towers on it
th_freezer2.jpg

This picture shows, how I plan to have it open. The larger collar is 54" wide by 27" deep
th_freezer3.jpg

Thanks for all of the help guys.

Latest posts

Back