Imperial Stout Carbonation (keg)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JorgeGautier

Reaction score
Hi, I'm about to keg an imp. stout and wanted to know your opinion on what will be the best way to carbonate it (I don't think I should force carb it right?). Thanks.

Hi, I'm about to keg an imp. stout and wanted to know your opinion on what will be the best way to carbonate it (I don't think I should force carb it right?). Thanks.

Any time you use CO2 from a cylinder to carbonate beer, that's "forced carbonation".

And if you want to "force carbonate" a keg, the best way to carbonate it is to use a carbonation table, find the beer temperature on the Y-axis at the left, scan across that row to the volumes of CO2 you want to end up with (stouts are usually in the 2.0-2.1 range give or take), then go up that column to find the proper CO2 pressure for that combination.

Then leave it alone for at least two weeks...

Cheers!

I have multiple beers on keezer right now, so don't have flexibility to chose the ideal carb level for all of em. Trying to pick a good all around carb level that will work for multiple styles.

I've got an imperial stout that I'm about to carbonate. Will 2.2 volumes be too high?

= 10 PSI @ 42 degrees

I've got an imperial stout that I'm about to carbonate. Will 2.2 volumes be too high?

= 10 PSI @ 42 degrees

Pretty much your call there @Unicorn_Platypus

If ya' ain't worried about levels too high or too low, say for a competition, or for you, or to satisfy the cheap ba$tards that come by and wanna' drink for free, then critique, etc.......

Latest posts

Back