I have stopped adding priming sugar when I bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sempf

Hellbranch Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Two batches in a row - an IPA and some Apfelwein - I forgot to put in the priming sugar. Just plain forgot. the IPA I didn't even move it to a bottling bucket. I just stuck the pump in and started bottling.

:drunk:

You know what? I liked how they turned out.

Now, I'll admit I like beers better when they are low in carb. Style be damned. Still, I really thought I would have 10 gallons of flat, flat beer. I didn't. They taste carbed, have the right mouthfeel, but don't give me a bloated feeling.

So now, with my more recent batches, I have just stopped using priming sugar all together. I just move from secondary right to the bottle.

Anyone else find this? Am I just crazy?

S

I have never heard of doing this, but it sounds intriguing. Does it take longer to carbonate?
I use Coopers sugar drops or what ever they are called. They work perfectly for me. Been using them for the past 20 batches or so.

I think I'd need some carbonation. But I agree that I prefer it a little light. In fact, my Rain Delay Pale Ale is a little over carbed. I'll pour a glass and leave it on the table and go about my business for 20 minutes and it'll warm up a little and the head will thin out.

I really should do an English mild or something like that.

Did you check the gravity in the secondary for a couple consecutive days? Maybe you are still fermenting a little bit. Or maybe it's just carbonation stuck in suspension. There is plenty of that present from the initial fermentation.

I'll have to give this a shot with a small 1-gal batch to see how it works. I'm very intrigued.

I prefer a lot of my beers after they have released a lot of the gas and also moved a bit closer to room temperature. The flavors seem to come out more. Perhaps I'll give this a try in the future.

Lately I've taken to priming my beers with 1 shot-glass of table sugar, 1.5oz by volume. Sometimes I'll use a shot and a half

Yes, I'll admit that the beers might not have been completely fermented out, BUT the FG was within range. I think it takes a few weeks to get those last three-four points, and I have just been using those to get my carb.

Yes, it takes a lot longer to carb, but I don't have THAT many friends, I brew a lot and I drink pretty slow. So I have time. This probably isn't for everyone. But I think it is a cool experiment, and it makes bottling less of a pain.

I am getting kegging equipment as soon as SWMBO OKs it, and I'll try it with a keg and let everyone know how it turns out.

S

Back