Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > I didn't mix my priming sugar!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
McGlothan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default I didn't mix my priming sugar!

Hi,

I bottled a batch of imperial IPA last night and added 2/3 cup of priming sugar (pre-boiled in water) to my bottling bucket. I use paint strainer bags as a lining to filter out hops debris and stuff. The beer siphoned smoothly into the bucket but I'm worried that the paint strainer bag might have blocked the swirling action that helps mix the priming sugar. I usually mix with a large spoon before I start to bottle after I take the paint strainer bag out. Anyway, you know the last bit at the bottom that won't fill a bottle? I usually drink it. And this last bit tasted VERY sweet. Maybe its just some of the priming sugar that settled but Im afraid it didn't mix well. Will I have any problems?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 316 Posts
Likes Given: 616

Only way to tell is.... wait and see. Your probably ok though.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 466 Times on 433 Posts
Likes Given: 209

I'll assume that all bottles will carbonate it's just that some of them may take quite some time and it will be hit or miss. If you bottled in any particular order as you boxed them up, the ones that were bottled first will probably carbonate faster than the last, just a guess. Do watch out for exploding bottles though as some may have way too much sugar in them, better to err on the side of caution.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
McGlothan
Recipes 

I already have them in a plastic tub just in case. I hope they don't explode, it was a pricy batch of beer! Do most people mix the priming sugar in with a ladle?

Old 04-07-2012, 06:06 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I've never "stirred" my priming sugar. The racking motion mixes it fine.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #6
McGlothan
Recipes 

OK. Thats good to know. I have been mixing every time and I was half way through bottling before I remembered that I forgot. I haven't had bottle bombs thus far and Im not ready to start now. This five gallon batch cost me 100 bucks and I only got 43 bottles. Thats 2+ dollars a beer. I still bottle condition in plastic tubs just in case. I won't worry about it then. Ill try one in a month and see how it is! I feel honored to have gotten a response from you Revvy as it is not hard to tell that you are one of the gurus on this forum.

Thanks,

Shawn

Old 04-26-2012, 04:03 AM   #7
McGlothan
Recipes 

For the record, I opened three of these beers in a row after three weeks in the bottle. I have uneven carbonation. So, I would recommend stirring in your priming sugar when you bottle. The first one spewed out almost until there was nothing left in the bottle. the second one was hardly carbonated. Im lucky I didn't have any bottle bombs. I was worried this was going to be the case........

Old 04-26-2012, 01:43 PM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGlothan View Post
For the record, I opened three of these beers in a row after three weeks in the bottle. I have uneven carbonation. So, I would recommend stirring in your priming sugar when you bottle. The first one spewed out almost until there was nothing left in the bottle. the second one was hardly carbonated. Im lucky I didn't have any bottle bombs. I was worried this was going to be the case........
That's not why your beer is unevenly carbed.

It's really just because they're just on the cusp of being ready.

Inconsistant carbonation, usually simply means that they are not ready yet. If you had opened them a week later, or even two, you never would have noticed. Each one is it's own little microcosm, and although generally the should come up at the same time, it's not an automatic switch, and they all pop on.

A tiny difference in temps between bottles in storage can affect the yeasties, speed them up or slow them down. Like if you store them in a closet against a warm wall, the beers closest to the heat source may be a tad warmer than those further way, so thy may carb/condition at slightly different rates. I usually store a batch in 2 seperate locations in my loft 1 case in my bedroom which is a little warmer, and the other in the closet in the lving room, which being in a larger space is a tad cooler, at least according to the thermostat next to that closet. It can be 5-10 degrees warmer in my bedroom. So I usually start with that case at three weeks. Giving the other half a little more time.

The three weeks we talk about is usually just the minimum. Many beers take longer. If you had given them another week, more than likely you never would have noticed. Just give them more time.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-26-2012, 08:50 PM   #9
McGlothan
Recipes 

I didn't ever think of storing in different locations for carbing times. I am going to try that out on my next batch. I keep my closet pretty cool. At 70 most times. Thanks for the tip. I definitely had one that was over-carbed though. It sounded like missile when I opened it and overflowed

Old 04-26-2012, 08:51 PM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGlothan View Post
I didn't ever think of storing in different locations for carbing times. I am going to try that out on my next batch. I keep my closet pretty cool. At 70 most times. Thanks for the tip. I definitely had one that was over-carbed though. It sounded like missile when I opened it and overflowed
"At 70 most times," Means it probably spends a great deal of time below 70...that means it's gonna need more time.

Quick Reply