How much does a 5# CO2 cylinder weigh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedIrocZ-28

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I ask this because I got my supposed 5# cylinder filled up about a month and a half ago. I have run ~4 kegs through mine, force carbing each of them, and one of them was a soda keg of rootbeer, which has to be force carbed and served at higher pressures. Anyway, I weighed the cylinder last night and its telling me I have used 1.5# to carb and serve 4 kegs, meaning I have 3.5# left. When I researched how many kegs you are supposed to be able to carb and serve off a 5# cylinder, most agreed you could get 5 or 6. If my math is correct, I should be getting 13 or more off a single fill. That does not sound right at all.

FYI: My cylinder says it weighs 7.53# empty. I weighed it last night and I was at 11# meaning I have 3.5# left. you can easily feel the CO2 sloshing around in there if you shake it.

The 5 or 6 kegs is for 1/2 barrels. Homebrew kegs (5 gal) should be 15 or more. Since you are using extra to force carb, your number will be about the 13 you are estimating.

What!? No. 4-5 kegs of 5G cornies off one fill. Unless my setup is horribly inefficient, which i don't understand how it would be. Are you weighing it with the regulator on?

Stupid internet is down at home. Posting from my blackberry. Anyway, I weighed it without the regulator on of course. I suppose they could have overfilled it but I seem to remember they put 5 lbs in. Just checked the receipt, says 5 lbs. Well, I hope it has enough left for these last 2 - 1/2 kegs I have with me for this weekend.

I do 4-5 then take it to get filled. I never let it go empty so I could maybe get more.

I'm dispensing at least 22-24 before filling (no carbing). I go through about 1 keg a week and usually fill the 5# co2 every 6 months.

A regulator probably weighs close to 1 pound.

5-8 cornies, carbing AND dispensing is the range I usually see thrown around.

Hard for me to verify, because I run 2 kegs off a 5lb and 3 kegs off a 10lb tank.

1st tank was 12 1/6th barrels. Second tank was 4 1/6 barrels, 2 force carbs, 1 soda keg at 40psi.

I could see 15 corneys that were already kegged no problem.

Back