The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > How much air to leave in the bottle?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2007, 06:16 PM   #11
malkore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I think its 1/4tsp of corn sugar per bottle. you may end up with some rather carbonated beer.

just remember the only 'bad' mistakes are the ones you don't learn from. 3/4 cup corn sugar (general guideline) for the entire 5gallons of beer. boil it in like 2 cups of water, cool, then put it in your bottling bucket. rack the fermented beer onto the sugar water, and let the natural swirling action of filling bucket do your mixing. you CAN stir it as long as you do it slowly as to not splash the beer at all (and spoon is sanitized well).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2007, 11:05 PM   #12
BeehiveBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys.

I tried putting the sugar into the individual bottles as this is what one of the homebrew store owners suggested.

His reasons were: ease due to not having to boil sugar, clean and sterilize the bottling bucket, and the foam that the beer created with the sugar in the bottle kept the oxygen off of your newly bottled beer.

I should do a batch half sugar in the bottle, and half boil and rack to see if there is a difference.

Thanks again.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply