How do you like your Apfelwein?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbeerguy

Reaction score
Carbed or Uncarbed?

I have my first batch fermenting and I was just wondering what others think.

If you like uncarbed, how do you bottle? Just in a beer bottle without adding priming sugar?

Thanks!

I like usually split it. Carb half, don't carb the other half. I'll drink the carbed stuff cold and warm up the uncarbed stuff. It is really personal preference.

For bottling uncarbed, just don't add any sugars

My carbed was very dry, but I wouldn't call it champagne. The bubbles maybe effervescent like champagne, but the flavour was definitely apfelwein. I actually enjoy the uncarbed version better. I can add a bit of sprite to sweeten and carb at the same time if I desire, but i usually drink it uncarbed a bit below room temp.

There, I fixed that for you.

I like mine lightly carbed, just as I am enjoying it now. I also like mine aged at least 6 months.

Ah 6 months? How does the taste significantly change from say 3 to 6 months? I am planning on bottling my batch and serving it at my family's Christmas/New Years parties. It will be aged approx. 4 months....

I did mine half and half and liked both. Just depends on mood.

I have four bottles I made a year ago. I'm going to take one home for thanksgiving.

I tried to do 1/2 carbed, but it won't carb up. Been almost 3 months now! So I just ended up liking my apfelwein in my belly, regardless of the bubbles :drunk:

Carbed and dry, carbed and sweet, still and sweet, they all seem to work very well with apfelwein. I'm not a big fan of still/dry apfelwein, it just doesn't seem to have much complexity, especially when it is young.

I usually carb it up in a keg and then toss it in champagne bottles with a cork/cage. Makes for an impressive presentation.

Lightly carbed, in a keg. Not sure what the actual value is, but it's just enough to lift it up and add a bit of texture to it.

Also, the batch I'm drinking now is over a year old, which changes the whole game.

-Steve

Back