Help with Taprite regulator barb inlet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sologman

Reaction score
Hi all, got this dual body Taprite secondary regulator for a good deal on eBay, but never noticed the inlet (right side) was a hose barb, not the typical CO2 stem/nut that attaches to CO2 tanks.

I tried taking hose barb off so I could screw on a new stem/nut and then attach to my tank. Problem is the barb is not budging at all, no matter which way I turn it.

Any suggestions on how to connect this to my CO2 tank as is?

If not, any suggestions on how to get the stuck barb off without busting the whole thing? It's stuck to where metal chips are coming off the barb hex when I wrench on it....

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402008449.966863.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402008271.388869.jpg

- SoloGMan

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Nice to know I'm not the only one always breaking stuff!

- SoloGMan

Secondary regulators do not attach directly to CO2 tanks. They are low pressure and you run a gas line from the low side of the primary to it.

If you are going to heat the body to loosen the threadlock, disassemble the reg first. Taprite uses a heavy threadlock on their fittings, I've cracked reg bodies trying to wrench fittings loose. Like PapO said, this reg was not meant to be a primary.

Whoa! These guys are right! Don't hook this thing up to high pressure. See? I told you I'm prone to breaking things.

I gotta stop drinking before noon... maybe tomorrow.

Hey, that's a secondary regulator, not a primary. It is not designed for a regular connection to a CO2 tanks, but is instead designed to take gas from a primary regulator attached to the tank and then distribute it to the keg. It is meant to allow you to carb/serve at different pressures. Do NOT hook that to the tank, it's not designed for it!!!

Roger, thanks all for saving me from potential disaster. I assumed one regulator was a primary and other a secondary...silly me.

Will use my old primary and hook to these with a CO2 hose. Will have an extra gas line, which is not a bad thing!

Back