Help with carbing stout for kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhCrap

Reaction score
I have 5 gallons of Bcbeernuts "deception cream stout" happily chugging away in the chamber. I plan on kegging this brew.
1st time kegging anything and as I had the equipment from the pub (now at home) I decided now is as good a time as any.
I have mixed gas 70/30 with reg and stout tap. It will be kegged in a 30l Guinness keg, which I do own. I have all couplings etc. I also have a tank of co2 as well BUT no reg for it yet so that's not an option yet.
Question is can I put it on the mixed gas and leave it 2/3 weeks to carb or do I have to carb it another way? Any help would be great :)

You carb with carbon dioxide. Semantics aside, the nitrogen won't diffuse into your beer. The CO2 in your beer gas would actually go into solution with the beer, but you're wasting a lot of your beer gas ($$) to do it. If you really want to go that route, pump the gas into your keg and wait. Eventually the CO2 portion will be diffused into your beer, bleed off the pressure and repeat. Each time you're wasting like 3/4 of your gas by bleeding it off, but I suppose you could technically reach your end goal, given lots of gas, money, and time.

I'd roll the dice with priming the beer in the keg with sugar before I'd try carbing with beer gas.

Someone with a little more knowledge of the chemistry of it all would have to tell you the nuts and bolts of why nitrogen doesn't go into solution and CO2 does.

Cheers for that. Sounds like I'll go the priming route then give her 2/3 wks then connect to gas and hope for the best :)

Kegging this stout tomorrow and going to carb with priming sugar (mixed gas regulator) so do I use the same amount of sugar to prime or is there a different amount for using a keg?
I've read a couple of different views and am now confused... Any help would be appreciated 🍻

Back