Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Got a leak - double dual gauge regulator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2009, 07:49 PM   #11
MoRoToRiUm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Testing on my spare/carbing tank now, since I've never done your exact setup. I know I don't have any leaks in it- single reg with 5 way distribution manifold. Low PSI just under 40, tank just over 1000 (ambient room temp). I typically just leave it on, but turned off the gas; I will report back later on the gauge levels- they SHOULD be the same, since the system is closed, regardless of pressure from the tank... but like I said, never tried it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2009, 08:10 PM   #12
phidelt844
Recipes 

Awesome, thanks so much for keeping tabs on this, Morotorium!

I'll check the pressure again when I get home. If it's still lower, I may be giving my regulator a full submergence in my bath tub . Lookin forward to your results!

Old 02-17-2009, 10:10 PM   #13
phidelt844
Recipes 

Well I fully submerged my tank/regulator/gas hoses. Didn't see any leaks MAYBE a tiny bubble every minute or so from the QDs and perhaps the connection between the tank and the regulator, but I can't confirm it wasn't just oxygen escaping from some crevice. No even minute steady stream as I was hoping. So I'm back to square one. This go around I'm going to try setting my regulators to 0, turning on my gas, then turning off my gas and monitoring my High Pressure gauge for any changes...

Old 02-18-2009, 09:48 AM   #14
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Sorry phidelt844; my gauges didn't really move much...

Remember, your high pressure gauge will change with temperature changes do to the nature of CO2. You'd be more accurate weighing it then trusting the gauge (also handy to take tare weight of it empty and check after filling to ensure you got what you paid for)..

Between the tank/regulator possible leak- do you have a plastic disc/washer? If not, I'd pick one up at your local gas place. I also would say NOT to use teflon tape on that connection.

One thing to help isolate the problem, is to get shut off valves for your low pressure line outs from your regulator. That way you could pressure up JUST the regulator and know it wasn't leaking anywhere on the output lines/connections.

Before you go much further, I forget if you posted it- is it a newly purchased regulator?

Old 02-18-2009, 02:49 PM   #15
phidelt844
Recipes 

Yep, it's about a month old now. I'm using the plastic washer between the tank and regulator.

Last night I zeroed out my low pressure gauges, turned on the gas, then shut the gas down. HPG stayed constant right under 800psi all night. I've also pressurized my flat keg, so I'll check that tonight or tomorrow to ensure that's still holding pressure as well.

I'm just surprised that nothing was apparent while submerging my entire setup. And the thing that is really confusing me is that in my previous leak tests, when I've turned my low pressure gauges to around 25 psi overnight and shut the gas off, when I check it the next morning and they've gone down a few PSI, turning the gas back on does NOT shoot the needles back up... I mean, if there was a leak, hitting the gas again should recharge the system back to the set PSI, right? I'm at a loss at this point...

Old 02-18-2009, 07:46 PM   #16
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

RDWHAHB... Definitely check the kegs to see if they hold pressure (and ensure to hit them with 25-30 PSI to seat the lids), and see what happens. Luckily, CO2 isn't too expensive (If your local place is like mine, just a hassle to get filled). Maybe you just got screwed on your last fill? Edwort has a good post on a luggage scale for weighing- he purchased it for propane, but same principle applies to CO2. Weigh you're empty tank, so you have a tare weight, get it filled and see if they really gave you what you paid for.

If you go through this tank, you get what you paid for next one and it happens again... Then good luck... Sorry it's being such a PITA for you! Good luck!

Quick Reply