Frozen keg! Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boralis31

Reaction score
Hello, Its my first post here so please be gentle! ;) I'm new to the whole kegging/kegerator process, so I fear I may have messed up!

I bought two Sankey kegs of my favorite microbrewery's ale and put them in the homemade kegerator at home. I didn't realize it, but the temperature setting on the kegerator was set to maximum, and as you can guess the kegs apparently froze up.

Problem is, the kegs were new and untapped (I was out of CO2, and procrastinated before getting the tank filled). When I opened the kegerator after a few days, I noticed that there was slush on the kegs' side as well as on the Kegerator's floor panel.

After a number of muttered curses, I proceeded to removing the kegs from the ice tomb and cleaned the whole mess.

I noticed that from the gasket around the neck of the Sankey keg, there were bubbles and a bit of beer slowly pouring out. Does this necessarely mean the keg is ruptured, or can I keep hope?

Should I try to tap them and see what happens? Could the leak occur because of excess pressure, but the keg is still good to be used?

Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, I'll try this out.

Could the beer have been compromised by this leak? I probably will have to start the 'counter' as if it had been tapped?

I was working in my keezor and the temp sensor lead fell out. I didn't notice but the freezer ran for 4 days before I caught it. All 4 of my kegs were frozen solid. One of them was full and it leaked a little from the liquid post. Its been a couple weeks and all the temp is back to normal. The post isn't leaking any more and the beer tastes fine. Don't sweat it.

Back