frozen beer won't re-carbonate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sea

Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
anyone ever have this problem?

Due to a Temp controller malfunction, my keezer froze everything in it solid. Now it's been about two weeks since I thawed everything out and got it all working right again, but the beer is flat as a board. The apfelwine is fine. I have been kegging for years, and have my system dialed (except for the snafu), and have verified that gas is flowing to the keg properly.

Any ideas?

I would bet you have to re-carb them. As they froze with all the expansion I bet the CO2 blew right out of the kegs, since the keg is strong enough not to break all the pressure had to go somewhere. Probably out the relief valves or the O-rings.

Same thing happened to me, but a partial freeze. Even at 30psi, wouldnt recarb... didnt really see how that was possible. But I drank the last gallon and moved on. :) Interested to hear other answers.

I'd check you seals on the lid, posts, and relief valve. The freezing action could have broken the seals causing your c02 to leak out and not carb the beer. So long as the beer is at the right temp and under pressure, it'll carb. The only real explanation is a leak.

Just had the same thing, wouldn't have believed it until I experienced it first hand.
Keg got frozen by a fridge set too cold, now it won't carbonate at all.
I've had 3 attempts at high pressure for 24 hours force carbonation (my standard technique that never fails), and it's also been on pouring pressure for 3 weeks, flat as a pancake.
There are no leaks in my system. Is there a scientific explanation for this phenomenon? So weird!

I'd check you seals on the lid, posts, and relief valve. The freezing action could have broken the seals causing your c02 to leak out and not carb the beer. So long as the beer is at the right temp and under pressure, it'll carb. The only real explanation is a leak.

Good thoughts all, but it's been 3 weeks, and if leaking, shouldn't he be out of CO 2 by now?

Maybe he is................How's that pressure gauge lookin'?

I have had the same issue with a fauly keezer. I cannot find any explanation as to why the frozen kegs would not recarbonate and cannot not seem to find any leaks on the valves. Lots of folks with similar issues but no real explanation?

Back