Fridge/Freezer hole drilling question. I already looked for 2 hours on here

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

18DPA

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to make a bunch of holes from the floor of the top freezer down into the ceiling refrigerator part of my kegerator. The reason is to make the unit more efficient and put less strain on it. Since I don't use it to freeze anything I just want cooler constant temps to lager in the bottom.

I just carefully cut a 4x4" section to find any lines and didn't. Am I safe using a hole saw just make a bunch more?

Is this going to work?

"Usually", there is a piece of plastic on the floor of the freezer. It is held in place by a few screws or snaps into place. Remove this piece and under it should be a piece of styrofoam and if it is a self defrosting unit, a coil of aluminum. This will allow you to see where to/if there is a need to avoid an area. Hope this helps - Dwain

Most freezer/ref temps are controlled by air flow control. Turning the freezer all the way down should be enough. You could impact your self defrost system if the air flow isn't all across the coil. You could start getting 'strange' moisture problems.

Thanks for the quick replys.

here is what I was thinking. Its an older used fridge I got free. Works great. I put it up on jack stands and tore the whole thing apart and cleaned the coils etc underneath. I then put a ronco temp controller on it and 25 ft cord.

I started out using it for kegging and now have it turned down around 40 for my first lager attempt. It keeps popping the GFI its plugged into in the Garage.

Still runs great for 2-3 days then pop. I was looking to drill the holes to see if it was running too long and also for the blazing hot summers we have in tx.

You shouldn't need the holes for the reasons you mentioned, although I don't guess it would hurt. How old is the GFCI? They can go bad. With a 25' cord, depending on the size of the cord, if the GFCI is tired, it migh cause just enough load to throw the GFCI when the temp gets a little warm. The obvious of course, it doesn't shock you when you touch it does it? I would make sure that I wasn't loosing over 2% voltage/amperage on the cord (google voltage calculator)and change out the GFCI recepticle. If all these things are OK, you probably have a small short. This is just my opinion. I'm not an electrician, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn express last night. - Dwain

Some appliances refrigerators included will "nuisance" trip on a GFI. That is why they are not required by code to be connected to one. Just plug it into a standard circuit. I would bet it is not an overoad issue.

Back