Force carb, then Belgian bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plan9

Reaction score
I have an all brett beer that I want to keg half and bottle half in corked belgians to let it age.
I know I could prime the bottles and let them carb naturally, but since I have a keg set up, why deal with all the sediment?

I guess the two questions are...

1. If I force carb, transfer, then cork & cage, are the corks going to set properly?

2. Without additional sugars, is the brett going to continue to evolve the flavors as it ages?

I prefer to bottle all sour beers I've made, rather than get Brett/bacteria in my kegging equipment, FWIW. As most of these styles of beers are bottle conditioned, the sedement is expected, and will drop out anyway.

1. Yes. Be sure the cage starts really tight.
2. Some precursor compounds will be consumed and some flavor development will occur. Unless this has been in a secondary/bulk age for quite some time. If there really is nothing fermentable left, and no precursors, the flavors will mellow together and there won't be big changes. There is variability depending on the strain/s used too.

Why not bottle the half with with priming sugar and let it condition naturally?

Back