Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Foamy First 4oz from Tap, Need Help!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 01:27 AM   #1
Johnnyboy1012
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Foamy First 4oz from Tap, Need Help!

Hey guys,
I have a Beer Meister dual tap kegerator and I cannot figure this thing out for the life of me. I've been reading the forums on here, I've emailed the company but nothing seems to be working.

The problem that I have is that my first few oz of beer are all foam and then it pours clear. When I want a beer I have to bring two glasses to my kegerator, one for the first foamy few oz and the other for the beer I'm going to drink. I hate that this happens and I feel like I am wasting my brew by pouring out the foam. When the foam settles back into beer it tastes flat and and not as good as the beer should. It is like a creamy foam that first comes out. I've tried all different serving pressures and have even ended up over carbonating my beer to were I need to take the keg out, degas it and then start over.

When I open the door sometimes I see bubbles in the beer line and sometimes I see a large gap of space between the beer in the line and the keg. Another thing that I read is that it may have to do with the draft tower not being cooled and when the beer hits it, it foams up.

So here is the catch with my kegerator; I have two beers I have on tap and a lager that is lagering, so I want to keep the temperature as cold as possible (and my Beer Meister goes down to 32 degrees) which may not be helping my cause because at 32-34* I have to set the PSI to about 6-7 to avoid over carbonating my beers on tap. I believe it has 5 feet of 3/16 beer line.

Please help! Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 01:32 AM   #2
Satisfaction
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 25 Posts

I have a similar setup..

My solution was to increase the lines to 10' and that resolved everything.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:40 AM   #3
thargrav
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyboy1012 View Post
Hey guys,
I have a Beer Meister dual tap kegerator and I cannot figure this thing out for the life of me. I've been reading the forums on here, I've emailed the company but nothing seems to be working.

The problem that I have is that my first few oz of beer are all foam and then it pours clear. When I want a beer I have to bring two glasses to my kegerator, one for the first foamy few oz and the other for the beer I'm going to drink. I hate that this happens and I feel like I am wasting my brew by pouring out the foam. When the foam settles back into beer it tastes flat and and not as good as the beer should. It is like a creamy foam that first comes out. I've tried all different serving pressures and have even ended up over carbonating my beer to were I need to take the keg out, degas it and then start over.

When I open the door sometimes I see bubbles in the beer line and sometimes I see a large gap of space between the beer in the line and the keg. Another thing that I read is that it may have to do with the draft tower not being cooled and when the beer hits it, it foams up.

So here is the catch with my kegerator; I have two beers I have on tap and a lager that is lagering, so I want to keep the temperature as cold as possible (and my Beer Meister goes down to 32 degrees) which may not be helping my cause because at 32-34* I have to set the PSI to about 6-7 to avoid over carbonating my beers on tap. I believe it has 5 feet of 3/16 beer line.

Please help! Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance!
The first 4 ounces is foamy then as long as you pour glasses you have no foam? But wait 20 minutes and the first 4 ounces are foamy again?

This is caused by the beer shank & faucet inside your beer tower warming up to room temperature. Then you draw a glass of beer, the beer hits the warm shank & faucet and foams. It's a problem with all direct draw type kegerators but the solution is simple.

Install a beer tower cooler. A beer tower cooler is a fan assembly with a hose that sticks up through your beer tower. The cooler pulls cold air up from inside your fridge & blows it at the beer shank & the cold air keeps your beer shank & faucet cool enough to prevent foaming.

You can make one or buy one from one of several resellers on the net.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #4
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3210 Times on 3114 Posts
Likes Given: 18

While it could be a tower/shank cooling issue, the gap in the line suggests that it's not the only culprit. If your serving pressure corresponds to a carbonation level lower than that of the beer, CO2 will break out of solution and form pockets of gas in the line after sitting for a while. This will cause the symptoms you're describing. How did you carb the beer, and to what carbonation level?

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash
Brewerforlife Likes This 
Old 01-28-2013, 10:46 AM   #5
Johnnyboy1012
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Satisfaction: Maybe I will have to try that. What is you serving temp and psi? I feel like that will be a lot of lines in my kegerator that I may not have room for because I'm just barely able to fit 3 kegs in there along with the tubing for co2, but if that's what will solve the problem. So the issue that you had had nothing to do with warm taps and warm lines in the draft tower?

I've done both force carbonating and set it and forget it. I always get a foamy pour. And if I remember correctly I always see bubbles in the line no matter what way I carbonate. A buddy of mine has the same kegerator and it happens to him too so maybe it's not just me.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #6
Satisfaction
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

The temp is set at 42f with the serving pressure of 12-15 psi, also set and forget it style.

There is some really good advice posted in the thread, I went through a bunch of trouble shooting and in the end for me it was the line length that resolved it.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:08 PM   #7
Johnnyboy1012
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

That will have to be one of my options. Are your taps cooled at all or at room temperature? Thanks for the help!

Old 01-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #8
Satisfaction
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

The taps are at room temp around 65F, no special treatment.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:00 PM   #9
Johnnyboy1012
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Are taps at bars usually chilled? Because I can tell when I pour a beer at home the tap sweats but when at a bar the taps don't usually look cold but pour perfectly. That make sense?

Old 01-28-2013, 08:07 PM   #10
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 422 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 668

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyboy1012 View Post
Are taps at bars usually chilled? Because I can tell when I pour a beer at home the tap sweats but when at a bar the taps don't usually look cold but pour perfectly. That make sense?
Most of those commercial setups are glycol chilled, and the tap itself isn't chilled, but the line is wrapped in glycol. I haven't ever really looked to see if they sweat, but they are also pouring beers far more regularly then most kegerator owners so they are probably cold most of the time the bar is active.

At the Firestone Walker Tasting Room in Buelton, ca they have glycol chilled taps and it forms an ice dam around the top of the tower.

One last thing to consider about bar taps is this: The kegs they are serving all come properly carbonated to start with, and they are callibrated precisely with pressure/temp..so they're not going to have the kind of problems we have when trying to force carb our homebrew as a result.

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 93 batches and counting (as of 8/17/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Quick Reply