Flat first keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bhaigis

Reaction score
After 10-12 successful batches of all grain brewed ale, we just tried our first 5 gal. keg. Everything identical with the process except the addition of Muntons malt extract. We did this just prior to bottling but not for kegging. Instead we pressurized the keg to 18 psi and let sit at cellar temp (65 degrees) for 2 weeks. Then we refrigerated for a day. No carbonation. Any thoughts on what we might have done wrong?

Was the keg hooked to the gas the entire 2 weeks? As co2 gets absorbed in the beer, the keg will continue to suck gas. Also, to carb at 65 I believe that the psi would have to be much higher than 18. There is a chart that you can look up, and sorry that I don't have it, but it will tell you at what temps and pressures to carb at for certain carb levels.

Yes co2 connected and pressure maintained for entire duration. Also gently tipped keg on it's side twice over 2week period to expose more surface area to gas. Thanks for tip on the temp table I'll try to track that down

Excellent. Many thanks for chart. Will adjust pressure

Rather than trying to carb at room temp with high pressure why not just carb the keg cold? This will then be your serving pressure and you don't need to mess with it.

Back