Fixing Corny Keg lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paraordnance

Reaction score
Well, just received my first corny keg from MoreBeer and it showed up broken (see pictures). I was planning to keg my first batch tomorrow but that's not going to happen now, I'm affraid to brake off that handle bracket completelly, so I either have to weld it somehow or try fix it with epoxy. I sent pictures to MoreBeer but did not get any reply as of now. I'm sure they will respond but it will take time to straightn things out. Very dissapointing :( My beer been sitting lonely in carboy now for over 3 weeks and I have a feeling it will be there for another week atleast. I don't have spare keg. I don't know what MoreBeer will do but they should replace the lid. I understand that kegs are used but send me one in this condition its little ridiculous. Worst part I have another one coming from them (week away), hope its in better condition :rockin:
Here the question. If I dont get replacement, can I weld it? Its alluminium from what I can see and it might be tricky. Will epoxy hold it in place? I can drop a blob of steel epoxy or JB Weld. From what I can see based on design that bracket doesn't really do much other than hold lid tight to the keg until you pressurize it with CO2. Anyone fixed keg lids before? :p

IMG_3602.jpg

IMG_3603.jpg

IMG_3604.jpg

IMG_3605.jpg

The keg will still work just fine. Just keep the rubber seal up against the top edge of the keg when you first put c02 pressure in. That will keep the lid in place even if it didn't have a handle at all.

I have kegs with fully functional lids that still hang loose when "closed". Never had a problem.

Cheers.

+1 to Chello, I would still expect a replacemnet lid from morebeer as that is not the ideal solution but will work.
Just make sure it wasn't a "B grade" sale keg you bought ;)
Plus it should be stainless, can see why they would put a aluminium lid on a stainless keg.

Contact Morebeer customer support they will replace it. They are always great to work with.

Ditto the answer above. Once pressure is in the keg you don't need that part of the lid.

Im JB welding it, they replied but only appologized for inconvenience and suggested to spot weld. I guess its not that important so I'm just going to JB weld it and forget about it

Im JB welding it, they replied but only appologized for inconvenience and suggested to spot weld. I guess its not that important so I'm just going to JB weld it and forget about it

Did you buy a "B-Grade" keg? That's not very good customer service. Yes it's functional, but is it what you paid for?

You can buy spare lids, www.chicompany.net have them for kind of cheap (last time I looked... about 6 months ago ;))

Yeah, I know I can buy a lids anywhere but I just paid $39.99 for refurbished keg why should I now be buying spare lids? I think this is a last time I buy anything from MoreBeer, I had nothing but problems with them. Things are always on backorder, damaged etc.

that sux man,... thank god for kegconnection. they would have already had a lid in a box on its way to your house.

more beer must be slacking. or letting they lawyers run things.

I would suggest that you either replace it. Or have the broken part welded or possibly soldiered. Don't use JB Weld. It will not do anything for the damage and will make a real fix way more difficult.

Unless you know someone that can weld it, the cheapest way may be replacement.

I agree with others that the lid can be used as is and dealt with later.

If your near the Madison, WI area, I could tack that up for you in about 2 seconds. Not sure where you are from.

Thanks for the offer, I'm way up in Canada :D I already applied some JB weld for quick fix. I had to seal my keg with first batch so atleast its carbonating now. Will have to get replacement lid later, they $23 for brand new. No more busienss from me for lousy MoreBeer

I had a bad keg shipped to me from MoreBeer, they sent a UPS call tag with a replacement keg. I guess you just need to talk to the right person or be more forceful with them. One of the MB'ers is on HBT, pretty sure he will take care of you if he notices this thread or you PM him.

I sent Matt e-mail asking to send me replacement lid, no answer yet. Hope they respond promptly because I'm already spent over $300 with them in first month

I had a bad keg shipped to me from MoreBeer, they sent a UPS call tag with a replacement keg. I guess you just need to talk to the right person or be more forceful with them. One of the MB'ers is on HBT, pretty sure he will take care of you if he notices this thread or you PM him.

If you're talking about Jipper, I think he quit More Beer and works with them now on some sort of contract basis. So, I'm not sure if we'll be seeing him on here anymore.

Looks like they sending me new lid, so yes, as others mentioned on this forum, their customer service is top notch, it just takes time to sort things out.

Looks like they sending me new lid, so yes, as others mentioned on this forum, their customer service is top notch, it just takes time to sort things out.

I will pay postage plus your time and effort if you ship me the damaged lid. Provided your time and effort is like mine, I have lot's of time and putting something in a box ( the same box your replacement lid came in)and dropping it off for shipping is not a hassle.I need a lid and can't see paying $15.00 + shipping.

I will pay postage plus your time and effort if you ship me the damaged lid. Provided your time and effort is like mine, I have lot's of time and putting something in a box ( the same box your replacement lid came in)and dropping it off for shipping is not a hassle.I need a lid and can't see paying $15.00 + shipping.

first I have to wait and see the new lid will actually come in, second I made a make-shift fix to it with JB weld, not sure if it will hold up with time but it will be really hard to weld now because of that

wow, just got e-mail from Matt @ MoreBeer. They not just sending replacement lid, they sending another keg at no charge! Unbelievable. Thats what I call great customer service. I will definatelly shop with these guys again, I'm happy customer now :)

Latest posts

Back