Filtering through 2 kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surf71

Reaction score
I bought my filter setup through Midwest and it's their water filter setup where you push from keg to keg. It doesn't say anything about keeping the lids on or off, or if either of the kegs should be purged with a little or no CO2.

I know in some breweries the bright tank is set to about 12-14psi and then the receiving keg is under pressure just from cleaning and that when the beer is pushed through to the receiving kegs.

What is the best way to do it for the homebrew setup?

Not familiar with that system but to transfer back and forth between 2 kegs you would purge the receiving keg with CO2 (lid on), then have your first keg with the beer in it hooked up to gas under pressure. Hook up the jumper cable between kegs (or in your case the filtration set up) and then keep pulling the relief valve on the receiving keg to keep the beer flowing.

Alternatively you can put a gas disconnect on the receiving keg (just by itself, not hooked up to a line) which will allow gas to escape rather than having to constantly pull the relief valve. I usually do it this way when I am making a single transfer to my dispensing keg. I assume there will be a little blanket of CO2 from the purge, but then I also immediately purge that keg again once full. You might want to do it the first way if you are doing several transfers back and forth for filtration.

Hi

A lot depends on when you are filtering.

If you are done with fermentation, then you most certainly want to keep everything in CO2 and out of contact with air. The lines, filter and receiving tank all need to be purged before you start the process.

If you are filtering ahead of pitching yeast, then air is indeed what you want in the system. In that case you might even want to drop an air stone in the receiving keg.

Bob

chickypad, should I just purge and seal with about 10 psi? or do I need to actually get a full seal and do 25-30 psi?

No that's fine, you're going to be venting it anyway. You just want to get the oxygen out (I am assuming you're filtering fermented beer - didn't think of someone bothering to filter pre-fermentation).

Back