Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Faster way to carb bottles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2008, 08:38 PM   #1
pktshc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Faster way to carb bottles?

Greetings from Ohio-

I am bottling a batch some time over the next 24 hours. The challenge is that I really need it to be ready to consume by July 3rd. Is there a way to encourage a faster carbonation in my bottles?

Normally I find that three weeks is perfectly fine, but since I have about 2, I wanted to consult the experts to see if there is a trick to quick carbing.

Thanks!

JAH

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

If you have the ability to keg, you can keg then force carb and then fill your bottles with something like this. If you can't keg, I don't know of any other way to accelerate bottle carbing without risking bottle bombs

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-16-2008, 08:43 PM   #3
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

there are no shortcuts. if you keep the bottles at 70, they will probably be carbed in two weeks but the beer will be green.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:46 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by pktshc View Post
Greetings from Ohio-

I am bottling a batch some time over the next 24 hours. The challenge is that I really need it to be ready to consume by July 3rd. Is there a way to encourage a faster carbonation in my bottles?

Normally I find that three weeks is perfectly fine, but since I have about 2, I wanted to consult the experts to see if there is a trick to quick carbing.

Thanks!

JAH
Sorry you can't "rush" a natural process...It takes three weeks because that's how long the yeasties need to do their jobs.

You may be lucky and it'll be ready in 2...but you can't jumpstart it...

You're not making koolaid here.

Remember, it's not just carbonation that is happenning, it is also bottle conditioning as well....getting rid of the green taste...read this;

http://homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php...&postcount=101

You're not the first one to ask this..I'll just direct you to the advice you're going to get from others...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=704803

If you're introducing homebrew to non homebrewers...buy good beer instead of giving them green beer, else they will think either you suck or that homebrew sucks and they're better off sticking to their precious BMC.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-16-2008, 08:48 PM   #5
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I second Revvy's comments...

Old 06-17-2008, 12:44 AM   #6
earlytimes
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

In my experience, I've found that the 6 batches that I've bottled so far are all pretty well carbed after two weeks, so you might be ok. The only thing that might help is keeping the temperature at or a little above 70F to help the yeasties do their job... But be warned - even though the beer may be properly carbed after two weeks, it will still be green and not taste it's best. It may taste good, but it won't be great for another few weeks. I'm astounded at how much better my beer is after 6 or more weeks in the bottle as opposed to how it was at 2 or 3 weeks.

I say you go for it, but have a back-up plan ready. Like Revvy said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
If you're introducing homebrew to non homebrewers...buy good beer instead of giving them green beer, else they will think either you suck or that homebrew sucks and they're better off sticking to their precious BMC.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:27 AM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 980 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 28

How many days ago did you brew the batch and pitch the yeast? I'm not saying it will matter as far as how quick the beer will carb but I'm trying to gauge the overall rushedness of your brewing process. Try 3-4 weeks in the fermenter, 3 weeks in the bottle warm, and 1 week in the bottle cold. I've been there before but hurry-brew(tm) gives homebrew a bad name. I know Papazian says RDWHAHB but it should be RDWHAHBWIR (when it's ready).

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 06-17-2008, 02:59 PM   #8
pktshc
Recipes 

Ya, ya'll are all right. I knew the answer to my question, but was just excited to introduce my family to my newest hobby. I have an ample supply of the the last three batches, but I brewed this one special for the reunion over the 4th. Oh well, I guess that I should have gotten started on it sooner. A good lesson for future "special occasion" brews.

I agree with you about the beer being good after three weeks, but REALLY GOOD after about 6. I brewed an amber ale a while back that was good after three weeks, but was a jaw dropper after 5-6.

I guess my ill-timed 4th of July batch will just mean that I have a lot of beer for the rest of the summer, which is not a bad thing...

Thanks again.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:06 PM   #9
Shaggy
Recipes 

Its one thing I am learning myself that I need to look ahead 2-3 months if I want to make a brew for something special.
Cheers!

Old 06-17-2008, 07:13 PM   #10
Slipgate
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Hi All,

This is my first post. I have been brewing beer for 3 plus years. I specialize in IPAs and Stouts. I just started making wine last year and already have 4 batches of that including 2 batches that will be bottled this weekend.

Am I doing something wrong? I've made and consumed REALLY good beer in as little as 2 weeks. I brew Saturday, ferment for a week, bottle, and within a week it is fully carbonated and tasting outstanding! Now I usually make IPA as this is my personal favorite so perhaps the extra hops has something to do with it? My beer usually lasts about 1-2 months after bottled and the taste is very consistent throughout the 2 months.

For the priming sugar I use 3/4 cup of corn sugar disolved/boiled in about 1/2 cup of water.

I have waited longer for the beer and occasionally I will transfer to a carboy for another week before bottling - usually when I want less sediment - but in all cases, after a week in the bottle, it is fully carbonated and tasting great!

Quick Reply