Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Excessive foam

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
G2Brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Excessive foam

I've been kegging for about a year, but I just got a kegerator (from Beverage Factory) with a 3-tap tower. Over-all, it seems to be working great. I have a duel-control on my CO2 cylinder, with a splitter on one of the outlets, giving me two lines of one pressure, and a third line with a different pressure. I currently have an American Pale Ale and an American Classic Lager on the split lines. Beersmith recommends 18 PSI for these. I have a stout on the third line, which I have set at 10 PSI (also as per Beersmith's recommendations.) The stout is pouring great, but the two pales seem to be foaming excessively. Is 18 PSI too much pressure? If I turn it down, won't I get less than the desired carbonation? The pale ale and lager are both session beers, and I want plenty of carbonation.

Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 09:58 PM   #2
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 232 Posts
Likes Given: 119

How long are your lines? You've got the 2 beers at almost double the serving pressure of the stout so your lines should be almost twice as long.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:03 AM   #3
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3220 Times on 3123 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2Brew View Post
Is 18 PSI too much pressure? If I turn it down, won't I get less than the desired carbonation? The pale ale and lager are both session beers, and I want plenty of carbonation.

Any thoughts?
Yes, reducing the serving pressure will cause the carbonation level to drop. Whatever pressure and temperature you store the beer at, the carbonation level will eventually equalize with the corresponding value shown on this chart .

You need to provide enough resistance to slow the beer down so that the turbulent exit from the faucet doesn't create a bunch of foaming. With 18 psi that's going to require a lot of resistance. The two most common ways to increase line resistance are replacing the beer lines with longer ones, or putting a few epoxy mixer inserts into the beer out diptubes on the kegs.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 11-11-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
G2Brew
Recipes 

From the sound of it, I just need longer lines and I'll be set. Is there any down side to using longer lines with a less pressurized beer, such as my stout? If not, I'll replace all three lines so that I'll be ready for whatever beer I want in the future from any of the taps. Otherwise, I'll keep the stout line as is, and always use that one for less carbonated beers.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:29 PM   #5
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3220 Times on 3123 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2Brew
Is there any down side to using longer lines with a less pressurized beer, such as my stout?
Only downside is a slightly slower pour.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 11-11-2012, 09:21 PM   #6
G2Brew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post
Only downside is a slightly slower pour.
I can live with that.

Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply