DUMB Tower Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonneville

Reaction score
Visually, how can you tell a chrome tower from a stainless steel tower?

I recently ordered a SS tower and swear it looks like chrome. How can you tell? I was thinking magnets, but I think stainless steel can be non-magentic based on chromium and nickel content.

So, that's my dumb question. :eek: Thx.

Ha, well, polished SS should look like chrome since chrome is the primary "finish" metal. ;)

There are two types of SS (1) ferrite and (2) non-ferrite. The only difference between the two is the non-ferrite version has nickel added to strengthen the "finish" which, consequently, makes it non-magnetic. The higher quality stainless steels have added nickel.

Yeah, so if you ordered a SS tower and were shipped a (cheaper) chrome tower... how would you know? Silly/dumb question, I know. Maybe black plastic internal tower or something?

Tap it with a screw driver- If it 'pings', it's at least metal (hopefully SS); If it 'thumps' it's PVC...

Sorry, that's the best I can come up with off hand :)

Is the inside Crome too?? if it's "Pollished" SS shouldn't the inside be dull?? Where crome applied to some other metal... would be pollished Crome looking all over..

Cheers

Yeah, so if you ordered a SS tower and were shipped a (cheaper) chrome tower... how would you know? Silly/dumb question, I know. Maybe black plastic internal tower or something?

Well, if the SS tower you ordered is magnetic, then one of two things are possible (1) it's cheap grade SS or (2) it's chrome plated steel. Either way, I probably wouldn't be happy unless I got it for a steal...

Well, if the SS tower you ordered is magnetic, then one of two things are possible (1) it's cheap grade SS or (2) it's chrome plated steel. Either way, I probably wouldn't be happy unless I got it for a steal...

If it's not metal your better off. ABS is a better insulator.

No, it wouldn't be a cheap grade of SS. Only when you get to the 400 series stainless or higher will you feel any magnetic pull. The lower (and cheaper) grades of stainless (302, 304, 318 etc.) are not magnetic, the higher (and more expensive) grades are slightly magnetic.
Beers,
Ken

Back