Dish Detergent - Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bee_Serious

Reaction score
Hi all,

After thoroughly rinsing out my bottles after each beer, I developed the habit of putting the bottles upside-down in the dishwasher with the rest of my dishes. I figured the heat would kill all the yeast and any bugs that got in with fruit additions (I make a lot of meads).

This was before I heard about the evil head-retention-destroying qualities of dish detergent. Before I bottle, I usually re rinse with a jet bottle washer and do a star san soak. Would this dislodge any dish detergent that somehow got into the bottles? Or am I getting too far into the weeds worrying about it?

Thanks!

If it hasn't been a problem in the past, works for you, you're happy with it, then why make a problem of it now.

Then again I drink beer cause I like the flavor not because it looks pretty getting hot in the glass.

That's the thing - I can't believe it could become a problem.

I DO try to wash my beer glasses separately w/ baking soda, salt, etc. Everyone thinks I'm crazy. And I am not sure I can tell a difference.

Ya know, I always doubt a dishwasher can get sufficient water into the skinny long necks of bottles. And if so, not with much force or quantity to reach the (upside down) bottom.

Rinsing right after emptying will get most of the bits and yeast out. A soak and brush will help for more tenacious matter. It's good not to let anything dry up in there, grow mold etc.

For batch cleaning, I use one of those jet sprayers that screws into the faucet with a garden hose adapter. Hot water and lots of spray power. A manual wash with a bottle brush and a small tub of PBW or washing soda in warm/hot water, followed by a good jet rinse should get them as clean as can be. Drip dry.

Back