The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > CO2 regulator stuck at full power

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2011, 02:44 AM   #31
theamigo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Received a reply back from Midwest and the steps they gave me below worked perfectly and the regulator is working correctly again.

-----------------------
Sometimes a bot of metal shavings or teflon tape can get into the inner workings of those regulators. Most times a simple purge can clear the blockage and return the regulator to working order. It might take a try or two, but give it a shot and if that does not work we will replace the faulty regulator.

Here are the instructions:

Steps:
- Remove the red gas line from the affected regulator. Do this by unscrewing the chrome swivel nut at the end of the gas line on the regulator side. Don't remove the brass one since you'd need to re-tape it when reconnecting it
- Turn the regulator knob 3 or 4 turns
- Hold out the relief valve a little with a gloved hand. Don't need to pull it out all the way as that could kink the internal spring on the relief valve. Just a little should do
- Turn on the tank using short bursts of air to clear the obstruction. Use short bursts since otherwise it could freeze the obstruction in place
- Test to see if it worked. Turn on the gas and set the regulator to 10 psi. Come back in 10 min and if the regulator has climbed significantly past 10 psi, there is still an obstruction. Repeat the process if needed. If after the second attempt the obstruction still remains, you'll likely need to replace the regulator.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions.
-----------------------

Old 10-04-2012, 03:53 PM   #32
drewskies_brewskies
Recipes 

+1 I was having the same problem. I followed these same steps and was able to fix mine as well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #33
smarch0
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I had tried these steps as well and it did not work, I was then told by my supplier the relief valve should not be held open other wise it will not build any pressure in the regulator. After leaving the relief valve alone and following these steps it resolved my regulator creep. Just my experience.

- Smarch

Old 12-14-2012, 06:16 AM   #34
JLP
Interactive
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I had the same issue on both of my Brew Logic Dual Tap Draft System, and I received the same recommendation from Midwest. I executed these steps, and only free'd one of my regulators up, so I decided to investigate. I pulled both of the pressures control knobs off with a crescent wrench, and pulled out the rubber boots. After inspecting the innards of the knobs for a comparison there was no difference. After looking at the main bodies I realized that the pin controlling valve was half way closed on the stuck valve. I then tapped on the body with my thumb, and the pin slowly popped out a bit more each time. I then grabbed a pair of needle nose pliers, and then worked the pin/plunger in and out until it popped out almost instantaneously. I then rebuilt the regulator, and connected it to the co2 tank. After repeating the aforementioned process from Midwest, it now works like a charm.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:48 AM   #35
blange3
Recipes 

Likes Given: 11

Thanks for posting these steps. I just ran into this situation and was able to resolve it in minutes keeping my St. Patty's production on schedule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theamigo View Post
Received a reply back from Midwest and the steps they gave me below worked perfectly and the regulator is working correctly again.

-----------------------
Sometimes a bot of metal shavings or teflon tape can get into the inner workings of those regulators. Most times a simple purge can clear the blockage and return the regulator to working order. It might take a try or two, but give it a shot and if that does not work we will replace the faulty regulator.

Here are the instructions:

Steps:
- Remove the red gas line from the affected regulator. Do this by unscrewing the chrome swivel nut at the end of the gas line on the regulator side. Don't remove the brass one since you'd need to re-tape it when reconnecting it
- Turn the regulator knob 3 or 4 turns
- Hold out the relief valve a little with a gloved hand. Don't need to pull it out all the way as that could kink the internal spring on the relief valve. Just a little should do
- Turn on the tank using short bursts of air to clear the obstruction. Use short bursts since otherwise it could freeze the obstruction in place
- Test to see if it worked. Turn on the gas and set the regulator to 10 psi. Come back in 10 min and if the regulator has climbed significantly past 10 psi, there is still an obstruction. Repeat the process if needed. If after the second attempt the obstruction still remains, you'll likely need to replace the regulator.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions.
-----------------------

Peace Love Brew Crew

Quick Reply